Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Let's speak English!

Автор iopq, апреля 19, 2007, 07:12

iopq

I can't believe there's no topic here for this very popular language :)

Well, I think that's part of the problem, since there's an actual section of the forum that is dedicated to the language.

Regardless, post in English; I will correct your mistakes.
Poirot: Я, кстати, тоже не любитель выпить, хоть и русский.
jvarg: Профессионал? ;)

klaus

"Regardless, post in English; I will correct your mistakes."

Medice, cura te ipsum.
Да здравствует свободная Эстония! Elagu vaba Eesti!

iopq

Цитата: klaus от апреля 20, 2007, 08:32
"Regardless, post in English; I will correct your mistakes."

Medice, cura te ipsum.
Sorry, this is not the Latin thread.

Цитата: iopq от апреля 19, 2007, 07:12
I can't believe there's no topic here for this very popular language :)

Well, that's for it! This language's world-wide, there's so much interest in it. ecpesially in Russian... That's why, from my point of view, at this forum it's a very small popularity.  :???  :yes:

iopq

Of course that's the reason for it, since everyone thinks their English is so good :)

Akulina

regn

iopq

Let's discuss several points of the English grammar that I find interesting. For example, the "singular they."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singular_they
This is used to refer to people of indeterminate gender or of indeterminate number. Long ago theis was delegated to the pronoun "he." But in the twentieth century it became more politically correct to write "he or she." Other possible nouns used in this situation are "one," "each," and "a person." Colloquially, the singular they is probably the most used. But most prescriptive grammars say that pronouns must agree in number; they state that the singular they is incorrect usage.

iopq

Цитата: regn от октября 29, 2008, 05:12
Maybe, the election here in the US that's going to happen in 7 days? ;-)
That's boring, in reality elections don't change anything because both candidates agree on everything but minor issues. Obama will take troops out of Iraq... and put them in Afghanistan. But McCain will just put more troops in Afghanistan. Big deal.

Akulina

Alright :)
1) Election. I guess I'm on the Obama side. Not that I like him or anything, but I really do detest the Palin woman. Anyway, my opinion doesn't make any difference, since I live in Canada :)
2) Singular they. Ah yes, it is an interesting topic which I come across all the time. Personally, I try using "one" when in doubt. "They" is sometimes inavoidable, too, of course. It's rather awkward, but I think "he or she" is worse - it's longer, and really looks much too formal. I've never seen a singular they combined with a singular verb, though. It's always "they walk", never "they walks".

iopq

Of course, the singular they is always used grammatically as plural. But its meaning is not necessarily plural.

If you detest Palin that just means you live in a big city. Obama tries to appeal to an audience from big cities and make the rural population look ridiculous by saying they cling to their religion and guns. Palin tries to appeal to the rural population by saying that people from small towns are somehow better. They both try to separate people by using group mentality. Democrats want their team to win, Republicans want their team to win too. It has nothing to do with actual policy.

regn

Palin basically doesn't know what she's talking about. Actually, this is not her fault, nor McCain's. McCain learned a lesson years ago that in the campaign nothing's dirty and nothing is unacceptable once you've decided you want to persuade your goals. In this case the goal is power, and Bush in his march defeated McCain by using all the means he could. Now McCain's behavior reflects that 100%. He already accused Obama of being a terrorist, communist, and other names, and these are not the worst things he's doing.

Sarah is barely aware of two facts: a) what a president does; b) what a VICE-PRESIDENT does... Moreover, she's using statements to bash Obama that she used in her own speeches and policies in the past. For example, one of her biggest recent speeches included a comment about Obama's policies in which she called them communist based on his statements about collective something. Keith Olbermann played a little audio from her past background in which she uses similar statements in her campaign in Alaska, meaning, she's done what she's now trying to bash and present as bad things...

Anyways, the whole thing's ridiculous. Those two can barely be called politicians. And it's almost funny to see those two clowns running for such high positions.... One thing I know for sure - McCain is even worse than Bush :( This jerk doesn't bother to process primitive things - his destructive behavior knows no limits...

I'm even not talking about the story of Miss Buffalo Chip which you guys know, I assume...

Akulina

Um, I won't comment on the big cities. I'm not that much into US politics, really. What set me up against Palin was her talking about the enemies of US. I don't recall the exact wording now, but it was something like "authoritarian Islamic states such as Afghanistan, Iran, and Russia." Call me an elitist, but the idea of her as a vice-president scares me.

iopq

ЦитироватьThose two can barely be called politicians
You obviously don't know what a politician is.

regn

ЦитироватьYou obviously don't know what a politician is.

Excuse me?

Well, I guess I know what you mean... In this case, George Bush is a "real American president" lol

regn

When a person uses someone's middle name to define THEM as a person and this sh*t lasts for weeks before another ridiculous statement comes out, what the heck are they doing in politics??? iopq, you probably don't know what the real situation is...

regn

THE REPUBLICAN IDEAS (even though I am personally not thrilled with them) DESERVE BETTER REPRESENTATIVES

iopq

Цитата: regn от октября 29, 2008, 16:22
When a person uses someone's middle name to define THEM as a person and this sh*t lasts for weeks before another ridiculous statement comes out, what the heck are they doing in politics??? iopq, you probably don't know what the real situation is...
I don't care, just because Republicans are idiots doesn't make Obama good in any way.
Цитата: regn от октября 29, 2008, 16:23
THE REPUBLICAN IDEAS (even though I am personally not thrilled with them) DESERVE BETTER REPRESENTATIVES
Ron Paul is the best representative of Republican ideals.

regn

Yeah, but Ron Paul is not there for McCain...

I was not trying to say that Obama's the holy God... I just tried to make a point that McCain was even worse.

iopq

I didn't argue that McCain was better. I argue that both suck. Vote third party.

regn

I can't agree that Obama sucks so hard... I like the guy eventually. Also 'cause he's black. I know it's blunt to think this way, but it kinda pleases me that America will have a black president.

Which of his policies do you specifically dislike?

Akulina

Цитата: regn от октября 29, 2008, 16:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOkPFtPHpy4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RTlfRYLxA

very serious politics :-D lol

Good dear God.  :o
I can't believe this. He's... Just who exactly he is trying to appeal to?
Am I happy I don't live in the US now. Though having _that_ as a neighbour...
I'd like a different globe, please  :no:

regn

He's trying to pimp out his own wife. He was not quite aware of what kind of "beauty contest" Miss Buffalo Chip was and told those bikers that he was encouraging his wife Sindy (the woman in the bgr) to compete. The actual contest is for whores who come to show their boobs. Of course, McCain was a bit suprised (and so was Sindy) when the crowd started roaring "show us your tits!"

iopq

Цитата: regn от октября 29, 2008, 21:38
I can't agree that Obama sucks so hard... I like the guy eventually. Also 'cause he's black. I know it's blunt to think this way, but it kinda pleases me that America will have a black president.

Which of his policies do you specifically dislike?

I dislike his position on Afghanistan, because he says we need more troops in Afghanistan. i think we need less troops everywhere.

I don't like his health care proposal. We all know how badly the Social Security system is doing right now and he wants to create ANOTHER inefficient bureaucracy.

He voted for the Patriot Act in 2006. He voted for the bailout bill. I could list more things, but he basically agrees with McCain on a whole host of issues.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр