Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Готские ai, au — дифтонги?

Автор Rōmānus, января 5, 2009, 14:51

Rōmānus

Раз уж эту тему подняли... Какой консенсус теперь насчёт того, что обозначают áu, ái - дифтонги это или монофтонги?
Надежда - мать дураков (с) Литовская пословица

Xico

Veni, legi, exii.

Rōmānus

Xico

По данным внешней реконструкции выходит, что во времена Ульфилы монофтонгизация не закончилась.
Veni, legi, exii.

GaLL

Внешняя реконструкция - т. е. другие ИЕ (не германские) языки?
Так ведь в соответствиях словам типа hairto- "сердце",  lailotun "покинули" i-содержащего дифтонга нет.

temp1ar

Roman, так ai это ведь влияние греческой графики? Под этим диграфом там скрывается /e/

GaLL

Да, но в hlaifs, например, исторически был дифтонг с i, и стянулся ли он в то время, неизвестно вроде.

Xico

Цитата: "GaLL" от
Имел в виду данные по ономастике в латинской и греческой передаче.
Veni, legi, exii.

GaLL

Цитата: Xico от января  5, 2009, 16:48
Имел в виду данные по ономастике в латинской и греческой передаче.

Эти данные предполагают наличие вторичной дифтонгизации *e (в т. ч. *e, пережившего преломление перед r)?

Xico

Эти данные предполагают наличие вторичной дифтонгизации *e (в т. ч. *e, пережившего преломление перед r)?
Что вы имеете в виду под вторичной дифтонгизацией *e? Если говорить об ái, то позиции, в которых он фиксируется (Radagaisus, Gainas), не совпадают с теми, в которых имело место преломление PG. *e > i > ɛ (перед  r, h, ƕ) . В первом случае, компонент *gaisu < *gaizaz "копьё" < *ghaisos, то есть ai восходит не к *e. Во-втором, возможно, сокращение от Gaisananths «смелое копьё».
Правда, Кёблер пишет о другом варианте: гот. gain- "оружие" < PG. *gen- «ударять»,

Gaina, Gainas, got., PN (4. Jh.): Vw.: s. gain-; Q.: Sch–nfeld 98
Gainas, got., PN: Vw.: s. Gaina
Gainhard, got., PN: Vw.: s. gain-
Gainwald, got., PN: Vw.: s. gain-

*gain-, got., Sb.: nhd. Waffe; ne. weapon (N.); Q.: PN, Gainhard, Gainwald, Gaina, Genulf, Holthausen, Gotisches etymologisches Wörterbuch 34; E.: s. germ. *gen-, V., schlagen; idg. *gʰʷenə-, V., schlagen, töten, Pokorny 491, Krahe I 83

но не ясно, как объяснить этот переход (монофтонги у него регулярно обозначаются как aí, а PG. краткое e отражается в готском как i или e).
Veni, legi, exii.

GaLL

Цитата: "Xico" от
Что вы имеете в виду под вторичной дифтонгизацией *e?

Вы написали "монофтонгизация не закончилась", поэтому я и спросил насчет тех случаев, когда исходным явно было *e, чтобы уточнить, о всех ли ai идет речь.

Rōmānus

В русскоязычной литературе бытуют два варианта: Ульфила и Вульфила.

Имелось ввиду, что товарищ похвалился, что читает именно Вульфилу, вот я и поинтересовался, а есть ли "чтиво" НЕ от Вульфилы ;) Его имя здесь - дело пятое

Что вы имеете в виду под вторичной дифтонгизацией *e?

Имелось ввиду преломление гот. i из прагерм. *е перед соответствующими согласными и которое на письме передавалось ai. Чисто системно трудно поверить, что такие разные звуки как [ε] и [ai] передавались одним диграфом, когда даже [i] и [i:] передавались разными графемами. Учитывая строгое следование греческой графике - разве гр. αι уже не стало монофтонгом в греч. языке на момент перевода Библии?

GaLL

Цитата: "Roman" от
Учитывая строгое следование греческой графике - разве гр. αι уже не стало монофтонгом в греч. языке на момент перевода Библии?

Именно так, αι стянулся еще во II в. н. э.

Xico

Цитата: "Roman" от
Учитывая строгое следование греческой графике - разве гр. αι уже не сталомонофтонгом в греч. языке на момент перевода Библии?
Собственно, это (вместе с высокой степенью однородности языка сохранившихся готских памятников) - один из доводов в пользу монофтонгизации уже в IV н.э. Но есть и факты, указывающие на то, что этот процесс в тот период не завершился до конца. В общем, вопрос касается скорее хронологических рамок процесса, а не его сути.
Veni, legi, exii.

Rōmānus

Я ещё вот это нарыл:

ЦитироватьSubject:      Richard d'Alquen: Gothic ai and au (summary)

Published in 1974, this books offers an interesting solution to the problem of how to interpret the digraphs <ai> and <au> in the spelling of the Gothic Bible. It's generally accepted that they  stood for [ε] and [ɔ] respectively in some Gothic words, in almost all of which the digraphs are followed by <h> or <r> in a presumed  stressed syllable.  They also have this value in Gothic transcriptions of Greek biblical names, and are the most usual transcriptions for Greek epsilon and omicron.

However they also appear in certain words, standing for Proto-Germanic [ai] and [au].  Debate has raged over whether these were diphthongs still in Wulfila's Gothic, and if so, why he would have adopted such a confusing spelling system. Other points of uncertainty concern the etymology of [ai] and [au] in certain inflections, and the value of [ai] and [au] in words like 'saian', 'bauan', where they may represent Proto-Germanic [e:], on the one hand, and [o:] or [u:] on the other.

D'Alquen's theory is that the language found in the surviving Gothic manuscripts represents an Ostrogothic reworking of the original Visigothic bible translation. From loanwords into Romance languages, and Gothic names recorded in Latin and Romance sources, he argues that the PG diphthongs [ai] and [au] were preserved in the Visigothic kingdom of Provence and Spain, but monophthongised to [ε:] and [ɔ:] in Ostrogothic Italy by the end of the 5th century, that is, by the time of our manuscripts.

He suggests that in Wulfila's language, the following short vowels were phonemic: /i/, /u/, /a/. In the original translation, Greek epsilon would have been transcribed with <i>, omicron with <u>. Traces of this practice can be found in a few words which had become naturalised in Gothic: aggilus, Makidonja, paintekuste > German Pfingsten, and a handful of others. (These words have traditionally been thought of a pre-Wulfilan loans.) The high vowels had allophic variants /ε/ and /ɔ/, before /h/ and /r/, which eventually became phonemic due to factors such as the assimilation or loss of /h/, seen e.g. in 'drausnos' for 'drauhsnos'.

Gothic <i> for Greek epsilon is somewhat rarer than Gothic <u> for Greek omicron. This d'Alquen explains with the following sequence of changes in Ostrogothic, completed by the time of the hypothetical Bible rewrite:

1. [ai] > [ε:]

2. [ε] > /ε/

3. all unstressed vowels shortened.  Since there is no phoneme /ɔ/ yet, unstressd [au] falls together with  <[u].

4. [au] > [ɔ:]

With this staggered theory of monophthongisation, he also explains the confusion of <u> and <au> in the endings of u-stem nouns.  In his opinion:

Visigothic (including Wulfilan Gothic)

N sunus
V sunu, sunau
A sunu
G sunaus
D sunau

Ostrogothic (the language of the manuscripts)

N sunus
V sunu
A sunu
G sunus
D sunu

By contrast, 'nasjis' [nasjis] and 'nasjais' [nasjεs] aren't confused, since as the time of shortening, there were already distinct phonemes /ε/ and /i/.  Similarly, he explains 'bauan' and 'stauida' as being from Pre-Ostrogothic [bu:an] and [stɔ:an], with another vowel shortening at the same time which affected long vowels before another vowel.  Lacking a phonemic contrast between short /u/ and /ɔ/, these would have fallen together in a single phoneme /u/, realised as [ɔ] before another vowel.  Vowel shortening would also account for the greater frequency of <i> for <e> spellings in unstressed syllables.  On the other hand, it is contradicted by the statement in the Vienna-Salzburg Codex that the <ai> in 'libaida' is like long <e> in the Roman alphabet (as used to write Old High German).

The lack of <u> : <au> confusion in verbal endings is put down to conventional spellings due to the fact that there are no verbal forms distinguished solely by a diference between <u> and <au>.  A criticism of this argument might be that <ei> for <e> confusion is very common and not affected by any such restriction.  This makes me think that the confusion seen in the u-stems might be due to analogy, and be caused originally by the anomaly of these two supposedly inherited forms of the vocative, rather than a phonetic development.

Although, by d'Alquen's own admission, the evidence for such a radically different spelling system in Wulfila's Gothic is slight, there is a lot about this theory which is is VERY CONVENIENT.  It explains why <ai> and <au> are used for Greek epsilon and omicron, as opposed to simpler and more obvious symbols.  It explains why Gothic [nobb]<u>[/nobbc] occupies the same position as omicron in the Greek ordered Gothic alphabet in the Vienna-Salzburg Codex.  It avoids the need for certain strained and exceptional etymologies to account for <ai> and <au> in unaccented syllables.  The evidence from loans and names adds up to a fairly convincing argument for dialectal difference, although it might be debated whether the isogloss corresponded exactly to the ethnic difference Visigothic versus Ostrogothic, and when exactly the Ostrogothic monophthongisation occured, whether or not the whole sequence of sound changed proposed by d'Alquen was carried through in all Ostrogothic areas, etc. Useful tools would be a detailed database of the names with information about orgin and an investigation by someone knowledgeable about the practices of Latin scribes and changing writing traditions and local differences.  East Germanic names in Greek sources aren't examined in detail.  Another requirement for future research (in this area and others) would be a more accurate reconstruction of the Greek source text (Vorlage) for the Gothic Bible translation.

Not dealt with in this theory are the confusions of unstressed vowels in the Calendar and the Deeds, which might suggest that all vowel distinctions were breaking down in unstressed syllables.

belo4ka66

Цитата: Roman от января  5, 2009, 14:51
Раз уж эту тему подняли... Какой консенсус теперь насчёт того, что обозначают áu, ái - дифтонги это или монофтонги?

Это монофтонги :)

Rōmānus

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр