Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Let's speak English!

Автор iopq, апреля 19, 2007, 07:12

huaxia

gosh, couldn't it be more complicated to chat with you guys?? the way you chat here is incredibly boring. let's pick a topic xD

how was your summer holiday? did anyone have a chance to go abroad this summer?

Чайник777

DAZU brauchte Hitler 12 Jahre Zeit.

Искандер

Цитата: huaxia от августа 14, 2011, 14:19
how was your summer holiday? did anyone have a chance to go abroad this summer?
not me too.

Summer is boring topic.
I've been home till tomorrow... Bore. Urph. What can you recomend me to do with that?
"Niech żyją POLACY!! Ponieważ polacy są rasej nadczłowieków. Od nich jest przyszłość planety. Oni przeżyją nawet wojną atomowę, dlatego, że polacy są wieczni, bo chtoniczni. I dadzą potomstwo, które też będzie polakami i polkami. Niech żyjemy, hura!.." (c) Awwal12

Квас

Пишите письма! :)

Искандер

"Niech żyją POLACY!! Ponieważ polacy są rasej nadczłowieków. Od nich jest przyszłość planety. Oni przeżyją nawet wojną atomowę, dlatego, że polacy są wieczni, bo chtoniczni. I dadzą potomstwo, które też będzie polakami i polkami. Niech żyjemy, hura!.." (c) Awwal12

Квас

Искандер

Искандер

Искандер

nah you know? It's just time to take my habitual ride through the city and suburbs.

Искандер

Квас

Ellidi

Цитата: Чайник777 от августа 14, 2011, 12:25
I was merely trying to emulate Ellidi's style or the style that I perceived as being his style of writing. I'm not sure I've succeeded in this endeavor, though.
You did not, because I frown upon non-British spelling varieties. Thus, I would always spell the last noun in your sentence endeavour.
Suum quoque castitas mentis dispendium patitur, quia nonnunquam mens concupiscentiae telo configitur per carnis speciem, quam exterius contemplatur. («A. de C. S.», c. XI)

svobodný

Цитата: Ellidi от августа 14, 2011, 22:29
You did not, because I frown upon non-British spelling varieties. Thus, I would always spell the last noun in your sentence endeavour.
I've got a general question. Mind me telling why you somewhat ignore the words of Germanic origin in English?
VIT.A.MORS

Ellidi

Цитата: svobodný от августа 14, 2011, 22:37
I've got a general question. Mind me telling why you somewhat ignore the words of Germanic origin in English?
Feel free to state your conjecture. Oh, I thought you have one.

The reason is that most of them are false friends. Thus, shard, hound and the verb own are akin to German Scharte, Hund and gönnen, but their meaning differs significantly from the meaning of their German æquivalents. Whereas the meaning of words derived from Latin often coincides with the meaning in Latin, therefore they are easier to cope with.
Suum quoque castitas mentis dispendium patitur, quia nonnunquam mens concupiscentiae telo configitur per carnis speciem, quam exterius contemplatur. («A. de C. S.», c. XI)

svobodný

Цитата: Ellidi от августа 14, 2011, 22:39
Feel free to state your conjecture.
Your vocabulary is mostly made of Latin-based words which are, unfortunately for you I suppose, not widely understood. In other words, it may seem for a simple person whose native language is not English, that you ignore the words of Germanic origin. Those words are a part of English language, for your information. I believe, you are a typical example of a Schoolbook English. Your vocabulary is great, but you often make no sense.
VIT.A.MORS

Ellidi

Цитата: svobodný от августа 14, 2011, 22:44
you ignore the words of Germanic origin.
They are scarce in number in comparison with the English vocabulary of Latin origin.
Цитата: svobodný от августа 14, 2011, 22:44
Those words are a part of English language, for your information.
Yes, an exiguous part (judging from their quantity, not their propagation in Tom, Dick and Harry's parlance).

svobodný

Цитата: Ellidi от августа 14, 2011, 22:53
They are scarce in number in comparison with the English vocabulary of Latin origin.
do you imply, that they can be ommited in the written language?
Цитата: Ellidi от августа 14, 2011, 22:53
Yes, an exiguous part (judging from their quantity, not their propagation in common speech).
spoken language form must prevail of forums, while written langauge form must stay in the documents.

i think i'm talking to a wall right now. seriously. a wall. :(
VIT.A.MORS

Ellidi

Квас

In fact, a few messages ago Ellidi confessed that there's much to be desired about his proficiency (sorry to say this). I mean this quotation:

Цитата: Ellidi от августа 14, 2011, 00:35
Thus, I recollect the verb extinguish easier than put off, ignite easier than kindle and so forth. Consequently, I adjoin the first words of these to my sentence rather than the second ones (provided they are synonyms, otherwise I take their semantic dissimilarity into account).

Actually synonyms deserve more careful attention. The meaning is but one characteristic of a word; there are also connotation, style, idiomatic uses (in most general sense). Roughly speaking, if a word is marked 'bookish' in a dictionary, it would be a misuse to put it in in a casual chat. Synonyms are as likely interchangeable as not; even if they are, they are hardly ever identical. One has to pay attention to such niceties so as to gain the appreciation of the language. Notice that I speak of standard modern English, not of the colloquial language.

Even if one chooses to use an obsolete variant of English for communication (some of our fellow-forumers are liable to ;)), the method is just the same. One merely has to consult out-of-date dictionaries.

svobodný

Цитата: Ellidi от августа 14, 2011, 23:06
omitted
thanks
Цитата: Квас от августа 14, 2011, 23:10
The meaning is but one characteristic of a word; there are also connotation, style, idiomatic uses (in most general sense).
I give up. Ellidi ignores my messages. It is pointless to talk with a man like him.
VIT.A.MORS

nivtirB

Наносите пользу и причиняйте добро!

Ellidi

Цитата: nivtirB от августа 14, 2011, 23:15
Till now Ellidi barked, now he begins to nipple by the heels.
Methinks messages with such disparaging content infuse contention, animosity and vexation into the current conversation.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр