Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Let's speak English!

Автор iopq, апреля 19, 2007, 07:12

Квас

BTW, Искандер, why do you use U+02BC 'modifier letter apostrophe' rather than U+2019 'right single quotation mark', the latter being the Unicode standard apostrophe?
Пишите письма! :)

Искандер

Цитата: Квас от марта 31, 2012, 21:34
BTW, Искандер, why do you use U+02BC 'modifier letter apostrophe' rather than U+2019 'right single quotation mark', the latter being the Unicode standard apostrophe?

U+2019 åas too far in the table. Also, U+02BC is a letter, and U+2019 is a punctuation mark, so the first will not break the word when in the middle while the second will.
"Niech żyją POLACY!! Ponieważ polacy są rasej nadczłowieków. Od nich jest przyszłość planety. Oni przeżyją nawet wojną atomowę, dlatego, że polacy są wieczni, bo chtoniczni. I dadzą potomstwo, które też będzie polakami i polkami. Niech żyjemy, hura!.." (c) Awwal12

Квас

Sometimes I wonder if I really should use all these non-ASCII symbols. :-\ Perhaps there may be other points of view. For example, like in TeX: one conventionally puts ' as the apostrophe and gets a perfect apostrophe in the output.

Do you think it's very important to use 'right symbols' in plain text?

Искандер

Цитата: Квас от марта 31, 2012, 21:51
Do you think it's very important to use 'right symbols' in plain text?
I think itʼs good when it looks like it have to look. When we take a book, some well-published book, we see «ʼ», not «'», when apostrophe and «'» when feet.
"Niech żyją POLACY!! Ponieważ polacy są rasej nadczłowieków. Od nich jest przyszłość planety. Oni przeżyją nawet wojną atomowę, dlatego, że polacy są wieczni, bo chtoniczni. I dadzą potomstwo, które też będzie polakami i polkami. Niech żyjemy, hura!.." (c) Awwal12

iopq

Цитата: Искандер от марта 31, 2012, 20:03
Цитата: iopq от марта 31, 2012, 18:24
I've long given up on him
Вот кстати ни один фразеологический словарь не помог распарсить.
Что-то типа «Мне глубоко забить на него» — ?
Не надо на меня забивать, я на самом деле хороший.
give up - сдаваться

типа я уже сдаюсь, he is a lost cause
Poirot: Я, кстати, тоже не любитель выпить, хоть и русский.
jvarg: Профессионал? ;)

Искандер

Квас

Цитата: Искандер от марта 31, 2012, 21:57
Цитата: Квас от марта 31, 2012, 21:51Do you think it's very important to use 'right symbols' in plain text?
I think itʼs good when it looks like it have to look. When we take a book, some well-published book, we see «ʼ», not «'», when apostrophe and «'» when feet.

On one hand, you seem to be right. On the other hand, the outlook of a text is the question of typesetting and not of encoding. It just occurred to me that in certain situations a conventional use of symbols might be more convenient.

I don't know quite well what I want to say.

Karakurt

What odd language is it, that people started to use on this forum recently, and that mocks English?

Квас

Never mind. It's a local variety of English. Would you like to write a descriptive grammar?

autolyk

Атэц Әүүәл not welcome in this topic

Karakurt

Have you noticed that they change the English adjectives on -ive into -if? My eyes!

Искандер

Karakurt

Karakurt

autolyk

Sudarshana

iopq

Poirot: Я, кстати, тоже не любитель выпить, хоть и русский.
jvarg: Профессионал? ;)

Искандер

Maksim Sagay

Guys, what do you think about unusual usage of the Present Continious? As we all know there are three main and simple ways to let someone know that an event or action takes place in the future:
1) using the Future Simple: he will work
2) using the structure "is/are going to +verb": he's going to take you home
3) using the Present Simple: he comes tomorrow noon
But how about cases like this?  "I'm not moving from here until I'm satisfied the hunt for me is over" или "he's coming here tomorrow night to talk to you"

Искандер

It will be quite normal in Swedish. But I canʼt say anything about English.

Квас

Future meaning of present tenses is not uncommon in the Germanic languages. The Present Continuous indicates that there is a plan. If I'm not mistaken, the Present Simple is not so widespread.

Borovik

Цитата: Maksim Sagay от апреля  1, 2012, 10:02
But how about cases like this?  "I'm not moving from here until I'm satisfied the hunt for me is over" или "he's coming here tomorrow night to talk to you"
check your grammar book. This use of pr cont is explicitly described

autolyk

Цитата: Maksim Sagay от апреля  1, 2012, 10:02
Цитата: A Communicative Grammar от
The present progressive is used for future events resulting from a present plan, pogramme, or arrangement:
We're inviting several people to a party.
Next they're playing a piece by Schubert.
We're having fish for dinner

Like be going to, this construction (especially when there is no time adverbial) often suggests the near future.

Pedro

Hi, amigos! (offtoping-rubbishing) :)
Цитата: iopq от марта 31, 2012, 17:51
Цитата: Pedro от марта 31, 2012, 16:22
And I think, that it's like a rubbish.
rubbish is not a countable object
Thanks. And... is the word "police" a countable object?
Смело исправляйте мои ошибки, если вы их найдёте!

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр