Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Some localisms… just so

Автор Jumis, мая 9, 2020, 09:20

Jumis

Was about to place some uncommon (sometimes odd or funny) thangs here... maybe more "territorial" than "slang" but still not sure, though.

Well, no alphabet or other preferences / just to begin with...

There is all kinds of localisms in Canada. One of the most common is the ending of a sentence with eh? (pronounced hey?): it means the same thing as a brit or an oz saying "yeah?" at the end of theirs... do you agree with my statement, yeah?

Some of the most confusing ones come from Newfoundland and other points east in Canada, like "how's your feet an ears?" The meaning is "obvious": it's friggin' cold there too, so literally is anything at risk of freezing off at the moment. In a warm house meaning the same, "is everything good in your world?" while the rest of Canada uses something along the lines of "Howzit goin' eh?" This one confounds a bit: in Newfinese they say "where ya to?" and that apparently means "Where are you from?" (what town, are you a bayman or a townie?)...
Ужасный чудными делами
Дзержинец мира искони
Он нашими решил судьбами
Себя прославить в эти дни

Jumis

"Couple years back I was trimming some split eucalyptus..." = the laziest US (or mostly US-South?) form for "a couple of years back". The Canucks are still tended to use "of" (omitting the initial "a" anyways).

Some more America? Okay: "my soon-to-be daughter-in-law" sounds quite understandable even for the foreigners, right? Kiwi peeps say to feel comfortable with this idiom, too.

Talking of the downunders, by the way. Ever heard of the dunny paper crisis? It sounds OK for both oz and kiwi folks but makes problem for the most of the rest Anglophones.
Ужасный чудными делами
Дзержинец мира искони
Он нашими решил судьбами

Jumis

Very likely, imma make a boo-boo now but so, what I'm gonna did seems and sounds just like "so, what am I going to have done..." to me.

Now let's find a bit of humor in the American I'm going to go ahead (or even heard them sayin' a few times I'm gonna go ahead and go ahead). At that point they must work for Uncle Sam in the department of redundancy department.

Couple of years back during a seminar, the guy was gonna go ahead and go back over some of the topics that were soon-to-be the standard procedure. Nothing odd about that there, that he went and done did that, now is there?

So, when the Americans love saying like I'm gonna go ahead and get behind you... you are feeling not just a wee bit uncomfortable...
Ужасный чудными делами
Дзержинец мира искони
Он нашими решил судьбами

Jumis

Purely for interest, the Oz resident's statement: if an American speaks of a woman's fanny, he means her rump, backside, rear... but if an Australian does he means her snatch/external sexual equipment!..
Ужасный чудными делами
Дзержинец мира искони
Он нашими решил судьбами

Jumis

Ужасный чудными делами
Дзержинец мира искони
Он нашими решил судьбами

Jumis

In Kiwiland they never play sax on the deck. As they play sex on the dick. And dick would be heard as duck or dock.

Truly, the great vowel shift never went the way greatly faraway as there in NZ.
Ужасный чудными делами
Дзержинец мира искони
Он нашими решил судьбами

Jumis

One of the most charming Kiwi idiomatic expressions, of a rural deviation derivation: "rattle your dags" — meaning hurry up, get a move on. Dags are the hard-dried encrustations of shit festooning the wool around a sheep's bumhole, which tend to rattle when a sheep is moving quickly because it's being harassed by the sheepdog. Of course, the other use of the word dag can refer to an amusing person: "he's a real dag!' Or situations: "it was a real dag." Or if something isn't up to scratch: 'this daggy light is on the blink again'...

A big difference between NZ and Australia ... Calling someone a Dag in Aussie it's an insult, NZ take it as you are amusing or funny.
Ужасный чудными делами
Дзержинец мира искони
Он нашими решил судьбами

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр