Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Let's speak English!

Автор iopq, апреля 19, 2007, 07:12

Versteher

ЛОЖИЛЪ, ЛОЖУ, БУДУ ЛОЖИТЬ!!!

Versteher

Offtop
methinks, one should start some other topic..

Which English-writing author do Ye like the most?

Aleksey

Strange and typical as it may seem, but be it Dickens. And what 'bout you?

Versteher

it would be assum'd as a wonder, yet I have never read a letter of Herr Dickens...

For the nonse my favourite is Geoffrey Chaucer...

Those I have read besides were great, and I shoun't write them, having forgotten one.

Juif Eternel

Цитата: Versteher от июня 10, 2010, 12:42
Offtop
methinks, one should start some other topic..

You'd better do. Because this topic was meant for those, who speak English, and not some kind of a barbarial lingo.
Mir lebn ejbik

Aleksey

Kinkajou

Цитата: Versteher от июня 10, 2010, 12:51
For the nonse my favourite is Geoffrey Chaucer...

As far as I know, Chaucer wrote in so-called Middle English. Did you read his original works or ones adapted to modern English?

Versteher

As far as I know, Chaucer wrote in so-called Middle English. Did you read his original works or ones adapted to modern English? , quoth Kinkajou;

no, well, I dare say that the so-call'd Modern English is a far better tongue that the modern newspeak..
Answering the question, I will say that I read the text as it was written, and get get the sublime linguistic pleasure doing it.

HackOnnerDib

And my favourite is Frent Herbert with his "Dune".=)

ps
Why you are writing "'bout" instead of "about" and "s'ppose" instead of "suppose"?
Esperu ĉiam!
Говори, что думаешь и думай, что говоришь! ©
Кто я такой: //www.hackonnerdib.info

iopq

Poirot: Я, кстати, тоже не любитель выпить, хоть и русский.
jvarg: Профессионал? ;)

HackOnnerDib

Esperu ĉiam!

Aleksey

Цитата: HackOnnerDib от июня 11, 2010, 11:22
Why you are writing "'bout" instead of "about" and "s'ppose" instead of "suppose"?
I often speak to Southerners and Scousers, so I tend to imitate their variants :D
Seriously: a Scouser talks like that (at least 2 Scousers whom I happen to know talk in a such manner)

Alchemist

autolyk

The writing "'bout" instead "about" is also a feature of the English poetry (dropping out of syllable to keep a metre).
Атэц Әүүәл not welcome in this topic

Kinkajou

Цитата: Versteher от июня 11, 2010, 10:33
Answering the question, I will say that I read the text as it was written, and get get the sublime linguistic pleasure doing it.
That's great. You know, we studied his work "The Canterbury Tales" as a part of the course of the history of Eng. And it was very interesting to read it, so to say, like Englishmen did in XIII-XIV centuries. That's why I asked in what variant you had read it.

Well, as for the topic - can't say exactly who is the favourite, but now I'm reading Arthur C. Clarke and like him very very much. :)

HackOnnerDib

ЦитироватьThe writing "'bout" instead "about" is also a feature of the English poetry (dropping out of syllable to keep a metre).
As "берег" and "брег" in Russian? Hm... is there any rules, or I can drop out any letter?
ЦитироватьI often speak to Southerners and Scousers, so I tend to imitate their variants :D
Speak or write? I think if somebody will say me something like that...i can't understand it=)
Esperu ĉiam!

autolyk

Цитата: HackOnnerDib от июня 11, 2010, 17:26
As "берег" and "брег" in Russian?
It is alike.
is there any rules, or I can drop out any letter?
You cannot. There were not any rules but some habits. As a rule syntactic words were shortened: about = 'bout, against = 'gainst, over = o'er.

HackOnnerDib

Hm...thanks! Now I think that I can drop out letters that I don't say(that is not hearable). For example, in the word "about": "a" is not hearable because of big accent on the "ou".
Over - I hear as "ouer","oer", and I can drop out the "v".

So... It is possible to write "ga'den" instead of "garden"? "for'cast" insted of "forecast"?
Esperu ĉiam!

Aleksey

Speak or write? I think if somebody will say me something like that...i can't understand it=)
I speak to them more than I write.

autolyk

Цитата: HackOnnerDib от июня 11, 2010, 19:05
Now I think that I can drop out letters that I don't say(that is not hearable).
No you can't drop out any letter you like. The shortening was according to the archaic/dialect pronunсiation.

Квас

Пишите письма! :)

autolyk

Квас

Thanks, autolyk. And how does the apostrophe affect the pronunciation of verb forms in -'d?
Пишите письма! :)

autolyk

An apostrophe in "ed-forms" shows that the vowel "e" is not pronunciated.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр