Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Prosaic English

Автор Versteher, марта 23, 2011, 10:05

Квас

Цитата: Versteher от июня 29, 2011, 19:19
How, Fair Sirs, would Ye comment the pair of: to steal an entrance?

I've recalled the meaning 'to come cautiously and unseen', but I don't know if the verb can be used transitively in this meaning; nor, of course, if it could be used so of old. :)
Пишите письма! :)

Versteher

where, Amice Care, hast Thou seen that meaning; prethee, let me learn!
ЛОЖИЛЪ, ЛОЖУ, БУДУ ЛОЖИТЬ!!!

Квас

I don't remember where I read that. Here's something from Lingvo:

Versteher

autolyk

Цитата: Versteher от июня 29, 2011, 19:19
How, Fair Sirs, would Ye comment the pair of: to steal an entrance?
I would have figured it out there is no way to go.
Атэц Әүүәл not welcome in this topic

Versteher

V. hath look'd into the prominent word book of the Sir Adelung, and is proudly announcing that there is written that : stehlen originally meant to do anything hidding it, and only afterwards became to mean an act of theft..

autolyk

Versteher

o, Thou art cavelling at me like a true pedantic Teuton, min deoraste dryhten!

Versteher

Fair Sirs,

have Ye ever forsought speaking Ancient tongues?

for-example, being in the City of Vatican uttering come Latin, or trying some Aramenian in Syria or some like this..

Versteher

Fair Sirs,

here is another fine example of the usus of the word: to steal:

..Quite as bad, let me tell you, if you had stolen yourself away without giving me advantage of seeing you again..

A weird usus, I dare say, when I understand it correctly, for: if: to steal - here means: to do a theft, there comes an awkward act of doing a theft of one's self; if but the verb means here: to creep fugitively away - why is the verb transitive, and not neutral?

Versteher

Уттыԓьын

Цитата: c1475 (1451) Bk. Noblesse (Royal) (1860) 75Pompeus‥was so chevalrous a paynym knighte amongis the Romains.

Цитата: a1781 R. Jago Poems (1784) 62Defence of Salem's sacred walls, From Paynim-foes, and holy pilgrimage.

&c.
«Ӣяму́н маю̄лътуң, нага́лъютки́ иля́галӷӣт.»

Ellidi

Suum quoque castitas mentis dispendium patitur, quia nonnunquam mens concupiscentiae telo configitur per carnis speciem, quam exterius contemplatur. («A. de C. S.», c. XI)

Versteher

Versteher

There is one Anglo-Saxon sentence:

Tha wurdon Lunden-ware haethene, thaer Mellitus aer waes,

which being translated into modern English sounds:

The people of London, where Mellitus was before, were then heathens -

still dothn't become clear to V..

Do Ye understand its meaning?

Versteher

Illustrous Ellidi, have You discern'd a interesting feature of writting style of Mister Thomas Carlyle? that he namely preferes to build the superlative of adjectives mostly with: -st-, almost never availing himself of the auxiallary word: the most..? So, unlikely to the use, which is common to V., there happen such words as: frightfullest, deliberatest and others...

Do You, personaly, like his manner of writting?

Ellidi

Цитата: Versteher от июля 30, 2011, 22:30
Illustrous Ellidi, have You discern'd a interesting feature of writting style of Mister Thomas Carlyle? that he namely preferes to build the superlative of adjectives mostly with: -st-, almost never availing himself of the auxiallary word: the most..? So, unlikely to the use, which is common to V., there happen such words as: frightfullest, deliberatest and others...
Yes, I have remarked those peculiar features. He also makes use of somewhat archaic adverbs, such as withal, nay, the conjunction except in the meaning of unless (and followed by subjunctive) and so on.
Цитата: Versteher от июля 30, 2011, 22:30
Do You, personaly, like his manner of writting?
Definitely. I am captivated by his writing style. But the content is even more facinating than his style. :) Have you commenced reading any text of his (judging from your question concerning his writing)?
Suum quoque castitas mentis dispendium patitur, quia nonnunquam mens concupiscentiae telo configitur per carnis speciem, quam exterius contemplatur. («A. de C. S.», c. XI)

Versteher

Aye, my Lord, I have.. The Book: Past and Present..

I would though say that now, almost 1/5 of the book yread - an allusion exists be me - that he explains too little, relying belikes too on a readers competence, which seems then to be too low of V..

But 4/5 of the Book may change this opinion..

autolyk

Цитата: Versteher от июля 24, 2011, 17:39
Tha wurdon Lunden-ware haethene, thaer Mellitus aer waes
It being the case that inhabitants of London were the heathens, in such a case where Mellitus was (is meant as an archbishop) previously. 

nivtirB

Наносите пользу и причиняйте добро!

Versteher

Ellidi

Цитата: Versteher от августа  1, 2011, 00:32
Fair Ellidi, hath it ensu'd much time since You read the Book?
«Past and Present»? 2 years. But lately I embarked on reading «Latter-Day Pamphlets» and I am proceeding gradually, being no less enraptured than while reading «Past and Present». :)

Versteher

Fair Ellidi, might I learn, whereupon Your sympathy to the Ancient Regime in France is bas'd?

Квас

Offtop
Versteher, have you ever conſidered capitaliſing all the Nouns in Engliſh? To my Taſte, this gives the ſame Flavour to a Text as the Yers in Rußian do. :)

Versteher

Amice Mi Illustris, never have I consider'd this manner, but of stressing so only the most important, the importantest as vir doctissimus Thomas Carlyly would write - only important, not all Nouns, as one finds done in good elder books.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр