rat - ran - rang
hat - hang
center
cot - caught
pot
dot

Go to http://lingvistas.com and click on "Audio"

iopq

Poirot: Я, кстати, тоже не любитель выпить, хоть и русский.
jvarg: Профессионал? ;)

regn

iopq

By the way, your pronunciation is pretty much perfect. The difference between you an me is that I pronounce caught as cot. There's also done which is pronounced [dʌn] and not at all like condone :/

regn

Btw, for a lot of students the difference between [ɑ] and [ʌ] is not clear. I can hear it perfectly. And people say that I don't have problems with them. But lots of Russians replace them both with a regular central [a] (as they do it with [ʌ] in certain accents in the U.K.)...

Loafer

Regn:

You wanna have fun? Here goes:

http://www.transferbigfiles.com/Get.aspx?id=770bf224-5596-4ce5-977d-38e085dc088c

It's me repeating you but with MY accent.

I love it. This is fun.

PS iopq, are you, guys, Jews from Ukraine? May I use your Russian language sample with my students as a slight accent in Russian demo? I like it.

By the way, when I was in Australia in 1996, about 1/3 of thought I am an American, another 1/3 smelled a rat and asked if am a Canadian. Only 1/3 could tell that my accent was none of a known English dialect. :)

I called that concept a "double foreign accent". :)

PSS
How's Ray's attempt at ESL teaching?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgdxX1B4at4

I'm sure he's a nice guy. In English.

IOPQ:  If I gave you recordings of some text about 1000-1500 characters long as pronounced by different Russians, would you be able to write true phonetic transcription of it, "as is"? There would only be three versions of texts. Okay, and some impromptu speech for a minute or so. Pay would be about $40 per sample. Well, in better times I would have been expecting to pay you about $1000-2000 per month, but with that crisis and all, I don't know. :(

Maybe some occasional Skype lessons.  About $40 per hour. Again - cannot tell the volume now. The business is bad now. I want to level with you.

Loafer

regn

Loafer

Regn:

I have to hit the sack - it's 2:30 in Moscow and I have to be at a meeting at 11:00 am. Let's do that tomorrow.  OK?

Talk to you, guys. :)

Thanks a lot.

regn

iopq

Цитата: Loafer от ноября 22, 2008, 00:17
Regn:

You wanna have fun? Here goes:

http://www.transferbigfiles.com/Get.aspx?id=770bf224-5596-4ce5-977d-38e085dc088c

It's me repeating you but with MY accent.
I love it. This is fun.

Pretty good actually

PS iopq, are you, guys, Jews from Ukraine? May I use your Russian language sample with my students as a slight accent in Russian demo? I like it.

I'm not a Jew (as far as I know  :???)
You can use my demo

Цитата: Loafer от ноября 22, 2008, 00:17By the way, when I was in Australia in 1996, about 1/3 of thought I am an American, another 1/3 smelled a rat and asked if am a Canadian. Only 1/3 could tell that my accent was none of a known English dialect. :)

I called that concept a "double foreign accent". :)

My Spanish professor from the US had the same thing going on, he lived in Spain so all the Latin Americans were confused about his accent.

PSS
How's Ray's attempt at ESL teaching?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgdxX1B4at4

I'm sure he's a nice guy. In English.

Гораздо лучше говорит чем человек который пришел из церкви к нам в Америке с целью поговорить на религиозные темы. Видно что практиковался больше.

Цитата: Loafer от ноября 22, 2008, 00:17IOPQ:  If I gave you recordings of some text about 1000-1500 characters long as pronounced by different Russians, would you be able to write true phonetic transcription of it, "as is"? There would only be three versions of texts. Okay, and some impromptu speech for a minute or so. Pay would be about $40 per sample. Well, in better times I would have been expecting to pay you about $1000-2000 per month, but with that crisis and all, I don't know. :(

Maybe some occasional Skype lessons.  About $40 per hour. Again - cannot tell the volume now. The business is bad now. I want to level with you.
Sounds reasonable, I didn't expect to be paid more than that anyway.

Ahori

Hi to all
as we talk about phonetics, i wanna ask if it`s actual pronunciation:
do you [dʒə]
have you [həvjə]
are you [əjə]
did you [dɪdʒə]
?
I found it recomended pronunciation in Cambridge "face to face" grammar book

regn

are you [əjə] --> [ɑɹjə]

do you [dʒə], have you [həvjə] - really depends with these two... Actually, I would say [dʒʲʊ] and [həvjʊ] (in case I don't wanna logically stress "do" and "have")

iopq

regn

iopq

Loafer

regn

Man... You got it wrong with the shwa in your class. I don't mean to be mean, but here's the thing:
1) In certain dialects of English, the shwa can really be stressed. In this case, it is transcribed as a shwa: ['bəˑn]
2) The transcription symbol [ʌ] stands for a totally different sound (NOT schwa!!!) - a non-rounded back mid-open vowel.Something similar to the final part of the Russian stressed sound [ o] (but the lips are not rounded).

regn

Ah, ok, I watched a little more :) Probably, it's really better to not try to teach our people to distinguish between the two sounds...

regn

Hmmm... Very weird... In your transcriptions, most English stressed vowels are long. Like in the words "weather" or "general". This is not true... I would reconsider the rules of lengthening. A sound way too long in a wrong position will sound very funny.

In your class, you distinguish between two lengths - short and long. There should definitely be three degrees of length.

regn

regn

Loafer

In your transcriptions, most English stressed vowels are long. Like in the words "weather" or "general". This is not true...

Well, actually they are, too. :)

Probably, it's really better to not try to teach our people to distinguish between the two sounds...

Oh, absolutely. Most Americans will never tell the difference. Merriam Webster dictionary (I think the trendiest, less conservative among the rest) DOESN'T distinguish. Also, later on I introduce the reality, which is that sounds are never pronounced the same. The intense ones are pronounced with better precision. Schwa is all over the place on the sound trapezoid-matrix. It, for example, shifts towards the back vowels before the "dark L", this way "bulb" may sound to the Russian ear as "/boLb/".

"In your class, you distinguish between two lengths - short and long. There should definitely be three degrees of length."

Well, I have it as long and short in articulated speech. I also refer to fast running speech, which makes homophones from "latter" and "ladder". Here goes your THIRD length, if that's what you mean. Keep in mind that most people don't give a f---k about "the beauty of phonetic analysis". The simpler, the better. Just "rules of thumb" with 80-90% accuracy rate. That's what my "speech" video demonstrates, actually. It basically works darn well. I wouldn't make "latter" and "ladder" the same in any formal speech because it sounds too "vulgar uneducated hick from North America or Australia (when with accompanied by gratuitous nasality.)"  It's okay for informal faster speech, though. Or in occasional spans in formal speech, when fast, emotional, and the context is very clear.

One more thing: your flaps are transcribed in a wrong way - [ɹ]

Wow! Thanks for noticing!

Kiddin'. Just teasing you. :) Of course it's ON PURPOSE. I'm not sticking to IPA. It's a methodology thing. Laymen better understand "r" as something related to "Rome", "air", "ear".

I also use a lot of Russian sound names, which don't exist anywhere else, like швёр, шве, шву, шво. It works just great for learners. Most American dictionaries don't use IPA anyway. Symbols of notation are an abstraction. One has to learn to be above those.

The [l] isn't hard in the words "volume, double-u, value". At least, in my accent.

Well, you have to pronounce them as "vO:L-jum" "d@:-b@L" "vae:L-ju" - the accent should be ok then. What is hard? I'm confused. "Lobe" - normal, "ball" - "картаво". Короче, в коде сразу после гласного - кортаво.

Loafer

Also, it's very important not to make "Americans" out of "Russians". Most people will find the very idea offensive (I don't blame them ;)). This way the objective of teaching should only be the important features of the language, which have direct impact on comprehension.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр