Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Russian borrowings in English

Автор f19, января 22, 2006, 18:57

f19

...And the last one. Can anybody share a link on a list of language groups with subdivision or just post it here? I mean, what i need is the full list of Indo-European, Paleo-Asiatic and others groups.
Thanks.

Rezia

Цитата: f19 от февраля 12, 2006, 17:52
...And the last one. Can anybody share a link on a list of language groups with subdivision or just post it here? I mean, what i need is the full list of Indo-European, Paleo-Asiatic and others groups.
Thanks.
There was a link somewhere on the forum. You should apply ""search".

I can give one more peculiar Russian borrowing which is not immediately recognizable as a Russian one (in my opinion) . The word is knout [naut] (a whip) and afterwards the verb to knout appeared.
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

Тайльнемер

I read somewhere that Americans use the word 'nudnik' which means 'зануда'. Both the root 'nud' and the suffix 'nik' are borrowed from russian.

Elik

Nudnik is a Yiddish word and was borrowed together with potz, schmuck, schlepp, etc.

FYI, nudnik is also widely used by Hebrew speakers.

Rezia

Цитата: Смайлик от января 27, 2006, 06:14
they do pronounce "babushka" although with the stress on the "u".  :green:
So this word is in use, not just an entry in the dictionary? :) By the way I came across it in one novel, but it was the first time I saw this word in fiction. I can even provide the phrase: "On that day her mother exchanged the babushka for the black hat with the large hatpin" (J.Susann "Once Is Not Enough").
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)

Смайлик

Цитата: "Rezia" от
So this word is in use, not just an entry in the dictionary?

I actually haven't heard it used in a sentence, but many people heard it and don't know what it means.  Once in a while I'll get a: "Hey you know Russian! What does 'babooshka' mean?".

The other time I noticed it in a Christmas light display.  Every Holiday season there's a show in a nearby park, and they cover the whole park with Christmas lights.  In one section there's the theme "Christmas around the world" or something of that sort where they show the variations of Santa Claus around the world, and what do you know... The Russian one looks like a Santa Clause but for some reason had the sign "Babushka" over its head.   :no:  That was quite a while ago, the first time I saw the show, in subsequent years I don't think they put the section up.  I guess the organizers just wanted a Russian-sounding word, and thought most people wouldn't know better anyway.  :wall:           

Radley

I have heard 'babooshka' used in speech by native English speakers. It denotes an elderly woman, usually of Russian (or generally Slavic) origin.

Rezia

Цитата: Смайлик от марта  2, 2006, 05:08
So this word is in use, not just an entry in the dictionary?

IThe Russian one looks like a Santa Clause but for some reason had the sign "Babushka" over its head.   
Ah, that's really very funny.  :D Don't they know ""Father Frost"?

Tony

Цитата: Смайлик от января 29, 2006, 08:05
Speaking of "buershiweike"...  Does the Chinese language have an "L" sound?  Because some Chinese can't pronounce it.  I was in a Chinese restaurant a while back and ordered a sprite from the waitress, and she said that "we have srice".  It took me a few seconds to realize that she was saying "slice" (a drink similar to sprite).   :D.

As far as I know, almost all Chinese languages have the "L" sound but only a few the "R" sound.

Цитата: SS от января 27, 2006, 15:54
Well, the French can't.
Well, I mean English speakers. And how do French pronounce it?

I guess they pronounce it like "poutine" (путин - stress on the и) which happens to be a special dish from Quebec.

iopq

Цитата: Rezia от января 28, 2006, 00:31
Цитата: SS от января 27, 2006, 15:54
Well, the French can't.
Well, I mean English speakers. And how do French pronounce it?

The last syllable is stressed.
Цитата: RawonaM от января 25, 2006, 20:00
The best part is to hear the word sputnik pronounced as [ˈspʌtnɪk]. :D
I wonder how the word, if borrowed, would adapt to Chinese or Japanese .
I've read that the words are borrowed into Chinese but not really very often. So one of the Russian words taken by Chinese was "большевик" and it became "buershiweike" or "рубль" which became "lubu''.

In Japanese the word would be transcribed as supuutoniku or something similar.

And yes, I get "Hey you know Russian, what does babooshka mean?" sometimes. Never heard it used in another sentence, but a lot of people are aware of that word as a "Russian" word. They put the stress on the penultimate syllable, though.
Poirot: Я, кстати, тоже не любитель выпить, хоть и русский.
jvarg: Профессионал? ;)

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр