Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

English as a word-order language

Автор klaus, января 26, 2008, 18:57

klaus

When may imagine two extreme types of language structure in which there is always one definite formal criterion in each word-class, and one in which there are no such outward signs in any class. The nearest approach to the former state is found, not in any of our natural languages, but in an artifical language such as Esperanto or, still better, Ido, where ever common substantive ends in -o (in the plural in -i), every adjective in -a, every (derived) adverb in -e, every verb in -r, -s, or -z according to its mood. The opposite state in which there are no formal signs to show word-classes is found in Chinese, in which some words can only be used in certain applications, while others without any outward change may function now as substantives, now as verbs, now as adverbs, etc., the value in each case being shown by the syntactic rules and the context.

English here steers a middle course through the inclining more and more to the Chinese system. Take the form round: this is a substantive in "a round of a ladder," "he took his daily round," and adjective in "a round table," a verb in "he failed to round the lamp-post,", an adverb in "come round tomorrow,", and a preposition in "he walked round the house." While may similarly be a substantive (he stayed here for a while), a verb (to while away time), and a conjunction (while he was away). Move may be a substantive or a verb, after a preposition, an adverb, or a conjunction, etc.

On the other hand, we have a great many words which can belong to one word-class only; admiration, society, life can only be substantives, polite only an adjective, was, comprehend only verbs, and at only a preposition.

To find out what a particular class a given word belongs to, it is generally of little avail to look at one isolated form. Nor is there any flexional ending that is the exclusive property of any single part of speech. The ending -ed (-d) is chiefly found in verbs (ended, opened, etc.), but it may also be added to substantives to form adjectives(blue-eyed, moneyed, talented, etc.). Some endings may be used as tests if we take the meaning of the ending also into account; thus if an added -s changes the word into a plural, the word is a substantive, and if it is found in the third person singular, the word is a verb; this, then, is one of the tests for keeping the substantive and the verb round apart (many rounds of the ladder; he rounds the lamp-post). In other cases the use of certain words in combinations is decisive, thus my and the in "my lover for her" and "the love I bear her" as against "I love her," show that love is a substantive and not a verb as in the last combination (cf. my admiration, the admiration as against I admire, where admiration and admire are unambiguous.

It is, however, very important to remark that even if round and love and a great many other English words belong to more than one word-class, this is true of the isolated form only: in each separate case in which the word is used in actual speech it belongs to one class and to no other. But this is often overlooked by writers who will say that in the sentence "we tead at the vicarage" we have a case of a substantive used as a verb. The truth is that we have a real verb, just as real as dine or eat, though derived from the substantive tea—and derived without any distinctive ending in the infinitive. To form a verb from another word is not the same thing as to use a substantive as a verb, which is impossible. Dictionaries must therefore recognize love sb. and love v. as two words, and in the same way tea sb. and tea verb. In such a case as wire they should even recognize three words, (1) sb. 'metallic thread,' (2) 'to send a message by wire, to telegraph'— a word formed from the first word without any derivative ending, (3) 'message, telegram', a sb. formed from the verb without any ending.

Otto Jespersen. 1924. The Philosophy of Grammar, pp.60ff.
Да здравствует свободная Эстония! Elagu vaba Eesti!

klaus

Да здравствует свободная Эстония! Elagu vaba Eesti!

iopq

You have to realize that even English speakers don't really care about word classes. "I feel good" is more common than "I feel well"
Poirot: Я, кстати, тоже не любитель выпить, хоть и русский.
jvarg: Профессионал? ;)

RostislaV

Цитата: iopq от января 26, 2008, 23:26
You have to realize that even English speakers don't really care about word classes. "I feel good" is more common than "I feel well"

+ 10!  :D

I`m talking always about this fact!

or

About this fact always I`m talking!

or ?

Драгана

Really!In the song: "I feel good,I know that I would not..so good..so good.." Though -feel well is better.

iopq

ginkgo

"I feel well" is not better than "I feel good", they just mean different things, usually. "Good" and "well" are both adjectives here btw., so I don't see in what way this usage supports your statement...
"Θα φτιάξουμε μαρμελάδες."

iopq

Цитата: ginkgo от января 27, 2008, 15:32
"I feel well" is not better than "I feel good", they just mean different things, usually. "Good" and "well" are both adjectives here btw., so I don't see in what way this usage supports your statement...
I will have to say that this is not true. First of all, feel is not used as a copula in the English language. List of English copulas (also known as linking verbs):
to be
to become
to seem

Also, take note that the sentence "I write good" is equivalent to the previous one, but with a different verb. It is only when you replace the verb with a linking verb when you get a different meaning: "I am good"

sknente

I agree with iopq-kun, the "good" in "I feel good" obviously isn't an adjective. "How do you feel?" - "I feel good". How = adverb.
:3

ginkgo

Цитата: iopq от января 30, 2008, 12:15
I will have to say that this is not true. First of all, feel is not used as a copula in the English language. List of English copulas (also known as linking verbs):
to be
to become
to seem

Please stay calm. She remained silent. He appears interested. The drink smells/tastes sour. It sounds reasonable. Her skin felt soft and warm. Feel free to use the phone. She looks pretty. He grew old. Her hair turned grey. Get ready or I'll get impatient...  :eat:

Цитата: iopq от
Also, take note that the sentence "I write good" is equivalent to the previous one, but with a different verb. It is only when you replace the verb with a linking verb when you get a different meaning: "I am good"
Please compare
   The leather is/feels soft. I feel good. I feel sorry. I don't feel well today, I'll stay in bed.
and
   The leather is so soft, can you feel it? - No, I can't feel well, my fingers are numb.
Feel the difference.

ginkgo

Цитата: sknente от января 30, 2008, 13:16
I agree with iopq-kun, the "good" in "I feel good" obviously isn't an adjective. "How do you feel?" - "I feel good". How = adverb.
The "sad" in "I feel sad" obviously isn't an adjective. "How do you feel?" - "I feel sad." How=> sad=adverb.
What is "sadly", then?
Or would you say that "I feel sad" is not correct, and we should use "I feel sadly" instead?

sknente

iopq

Цитата: ginkgo от февраля  3, 2008, 14:00
to be
to become
to seem

Please stay calm. She remained silent. He appears interested. The drink smells/tastes sour. It sounds reasonable. Her skin felt soft and warm. Feel free to use the phone. She looks pretty. He grew old. Her hair turned grey. Get ready or I'll get impatient...  :eat:

Please compare
   The leather is/feels soft. I feel good. I feel sorry. I don't feel well today, I'll stay in bed.
and
   The leather is so soft, can you feel it? - No, I can't feel well, my fingers are numb.
Feel the difference.

But those are examples of the word feel being used as a linking verb in the meaning "seem"

So "I feel like a fool" has a copula in it
"I felt around stupidly in the dark" doesn't

The word "well" in "I feel well" describes the action of feeling; whether it is your fingers doing the feeling or your entire self.

So in a sentence that declares that A = B requires a copula
But if you say "I feel well" we declare the quality of you feeling, NOT that you are well. Well as an adjective means something slightly different than good.

1 a: prosperous well-off b: being in satisfactory condition or circumstances
2: being in good standing or favor
3: satisfactory pleasing <all's well that ends well>
4: advisable desirable <it might be well for you to leave>
5 a: free or recovered from infirmity or disease : healthy <he's not a well man> b: completely cured or healed <the wound is nearly well>
6: pleasing or satisfactory in appearance <our garden looks well — Conrad Aiken>
7: being a cause for thankfulness : fortunate <it is well that this has happened>

So, we can't say that the news were well. A person who's well is not sick, a person who's good is kind.

ginkgo

ginkgo

Цитата: iopq от февраля  4, 2008, 08:31
But those are examples of the word feel being used as a linking verb in the meaning "seem"
...which contradicts to
First of all, feel is not used as a copula in the English language. List of English copulas (also known as linking verbs):
to be
to become
to seem

So "I feel like a fool" has a copula in it
"I felt around stupidly in the dark" doesn't

The word "well" in "I feel well" describes the action of feeling; whether it is your fingers doing the feeling or your entire self.
I don't agree. There's no action in "I feel well". Just try to replace the verb in each of the sentences with "to be".

Well as an adjective means something slightly different than good.
Well, isn't that what I said some messages ago?

iopq

Драгана

iopq

Цитата: Драгана от февраля 19, 2008, 18:51
Usually they say "I'm fine" -if somebody means that he is ok.
"I'm fine" can also mean that you feel attractive  :E:
More correctly said "I feel fine" (using fine as an adverb)

sknente

iopq

ginkgo

Цитата: iopq от февраля 18, 2008, 05:08
"I am well" means that I'm rich
"I feel well" means I'm not sick
Yeah, there's just one step from being "not sick" to being rich - stop feeling :D
iopq knows the secret.

Цитата: iopq от февраля 20, 2008, 10:30
More correctly said "I feel fine" (using fine as an adverb)
As an adjective.

iopq

You can't prove either way, English has a problem with word classes. Verbs are used as nouns, adjectives as adverbs, etc.

ginkgo

English has no problem with word classes, you just have to understand the system. Word classes are well defined by their function in a sentence. The fact that something has the same form is irrelevant. Nouns that are used as verbs ARE verbs, and I can't think of an example where you couldn't tell if a word is a verb or a noun.

Now to the adjectives and adverbs. Adjectives describe nouns (or pronouns), adverbs describe actions, adjectives or other adverbs. What is used with a linking verb is an adjective, because it describes a noun, the verb just links the noun to its caracteristic.
There's no action in "I feel well/sad", as little as in "I am well/sad" or "I seem well/sad". The verb "to feel" only gives a subjective touch to the statement, whereas the sentences using "to be" claim to contain a more objective "truth".

iopq

But if you mean that "feel" is a copula, then "I feel good" means that I feel like a good person. But the way it's used informally is ADVERBIAL.

Let's take adverbs that can't be confused with adjectives. In "I feel sickly" -ly is an adverb ending. Only a few adjectives were formed from -ly adjectives.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр