Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

History of English Lang

Автор soondary, ноября 23, 2007, 13:01

soondary

1. Why was "y" in "my" affected by the Shist ( and we have Modern Engl /ai/), and why was "y" in a word "only" not affected ( and we have Modern Engl /i/)?
2. Give the corresponding Modern English forms - cest(lat. cista), sacc(lat.saccus)

vizantiy

only 
     O.E. ænlic, anlic "only, unique, solitary," lit. "one-like," from an "one" (see one) + -lic "-ly." Distinction of only and alone (now usually in ref. to emotional
     states) is unusual; in many languages the same word serves for both. Ger. also has a distinction in allein/einzig. Phrase only-begotten (1450) is biblical,
     translating L. unigenitus, Gk. monogenes. The O.E. form was ancenned.

my 
     developed c.1200 as mi, reduced form of mine used before words beginning in consonants except h- (my father, but mine enemy), and before all nouns
     beginning 14c. As interjection, 18c., probably a shortened form of my God!

soondary

soondary

Oh, thanks very-very much, Maby you know Modern Engl contraction for Middle Engl "nere"?

soondary

No, I don't think it's Latin. Look that writes there - "Some of contracted forms are common in Old Engl and Middle Engl but completele lacking in Modern Engl. They combine the negative "ne" with a following verb beginning with a vowel, h- or w-"
  "nere"

vizantiy

Look it:
ME - nere thou our brother, sholdestou nat thryve
Mod.E - if you were not our brother, you would not thrive

nere=not were

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр