Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Speaking English with only germanic words

Автор sknente, сентября 7, 2007, 09:08

sknente

Do you think this can be done? This means dropping a fair share of everyday words like "use", "basic", "common", "point" as well as often seen suffixes, like -able, -age, -ment, and so on. No re-, and no de- to begin deed-words. But be- is welcome. :)

At least we get to keep the finger-words (he, she, it, this, that) and the clasp-words (but, and, as, so that, since). :) (but not because!)

Maybe we could talk about beast husbandry, warfare in the middle ages, or other such things folk of the old times busied themselves with.

Those damned Normandians, they've cast mighty wreck upon the Englyshe tongue. :'(

Oh, we could also make this a game, everyone begins with 5 dots, when they say a latin word, a dot is gone. Besides names of towns, lands and tongues - those don't make you lose dots. :)
:3

Lei Ming Xia (reloaded)

несколько тысяч языков исчезнет уже в XXI столетии :(

>>> нас объединяет любовь к языкам <<<

Wolliger Mensch

«Вот интересно, каких лингвистических жемчуг можно найти в море отодвинутых книг», Ян Гавлиш.
«Впредь прошу помнить, что придумал игру не для любых ассоциаций, а для семантически оправданных. Например, чтó это такое: ,,рулетке" — ,,выпечке"?? Тем более, что сей ляпсус я сам совершил...», Марбол
«Ветхий Завет написан на иврите и частично на армейском», Vesle Anne
«МЛ(ять)КО ... ПЛ(ять)NЪ», Тася
«Вот откроет этот спойлер, например, Марго, ничего не подозревая, а потом будут по всему форуму блюющие смайлики...», Авал
«Томан приличный мужчина. Правда по патриархальным меркам слегка голодранец», Vesle Anne
«Возможен ли фонетический переход "ж" в "п с придыханием"», forest

Lei Ming Xia (reloaded)

sknente

Цитата: Lei Ming Xia (reloaded) от сентября  7, 2007, 09:09
:up:

always wanted to speak so  :D

well, we could put some yiddish instead (of romance) :E:
No Yiddish, only germanic words from English. :UU: You can say old words though, that aren't alive anymore, but once were widely spoken. (Can't think of one to show you now) Even anglo-saxon ones. That's english too, only older and dustier.

Lei Ming Xia (reloaded)

sknente, you wrote of some "suffixes" above  :???

what is f*ing suffix  :D (wanted to write damned first but it would be so unenglyshe  >( )

sknente

Verzähler could have lost 7 dots for 7 unenglyshe words. :D
But, in our endless kindness, we shall give him another go...
Verzähler has been given another life, and hopefully he will now set upon a path of righteousness!

sknente

Sknente loses 1 dot for "suffixes".
Sknente hits his forehead. :scl:
Oh, and another dot for "damned". Thought it was Englyshe because Dutch has "godverdomme". Sknente sits with his hands on his knees, shaking and held by fear, afraid to open his mouth. ;<

Lei Ming Xia: thou art a beast, one hard to wrestle with!

Lei Ming Xia (reloaded)

"foreteller" put himself off for a while  ;D

Цитата: sknente от сентября  7, 2007, 09:39
Sknente loses 1 dot for "suffixes".
"overset" the word  :-[

maybe, we should make some kind of "tabele" for beginners like "foreteller"  :eat:

sknente

A breakfast I shall make. Of eggs and butter, with a black drink made of ground brown seeds. And you, oh aethel one, what shalt thou make to quench thy hunger? Or has already that been done, whole lambs chewn and swallowed, and kegs of beer made dry?

Lei Ming Xia (reloaded)

sknente

Lei Ming Xia (reloaded)

sknente

Then do so now too! I ask of you to hasten. Btw, you can say "lingvoforum", as it is this abode's own given name.

Lei Ming Xia (reloaded)

sknente

Lei Ming Xia (reloaded)

oh sknente, do look on "quick-learning-side"

and now me have to do wee-wee, and then me ought to leave, my dear friend..

sknente

With his mind burdened by the wish to know, with shaking fingers, sknente looks over Wikipaedia.
It told me thus:
Walha is an ancient Germanic word, meaning "foreigner" or "stranger" ("welsh").
Now I am befuddled no longer! I knew it would be something of this kind. :)

sknente

Цитата: Lei Ming Xia (reloaded) от сентября  7, 2007, 10:31
"quick-learning-side"
Nooo! For given names, there is no need to put their meanings into englyshe words. As they are, so let them stay, since only names, that's what are they. But if to do this you are wistful, then very well, this path is also open. :)

Python

You can say "lingvoforum", but it's better to say "speakmeeting", so the site-owner gets a dot ;-). It is not the best call of this world-wide-web site, but it is germanic-only, isn't it?
Пролетареві ніколи вчити європейських мов, бодай би свою знати добре і на ній принести до своєї хати світло знання (Гнат Хоткевич)
ÆC CASALI NAXI PRASQURI: AHOV CÆRU, MERTVÆRI TÆ SLAVUTÆT!
Вони просили його: «Скажи: кетум», а він говорив: «сатем», і не міг вимовити правильно.
Хотелось бы также отметить, что "Питон" - это "мышиный язык" : "пи+тон". © АБР-2

sknente

Цитата: Lei Ming Xia (reloaded) от сентября  7, 2007, 10:31
and now me have to do wee-wee, and then me ought to leave, my dear friend..
Goodbye dear friend, may the wee-wee bring you the long awaited feel of lightness, and your faring, may it be blessed in the name of Wodan, Thor, and Frygg!

Python

Can you tell me, in what speak the word "germanic" was told first? Was it a germanic-speak or not?
Пролетареві ніколи вчити європейських мов, бодай би свою знати добре і на ній принести до своєї хати світло знання (Гнат Хоткевич)
ÆC CASALI NAXI PRASQURI: AHOV CÆRU, MERTVÆRI TÆ SLAVUTÆT!
Вони просили його: «Скажи: кетум», а він говорив: «сатем», і не міг вимовити правильно.
Хотелось бы также отметить, что "Питон" - это "мышиный язык" : "пи+тон". © АБР-2

sknente

Welcome to our thread, snake-friend Python. You lose a dot for "site", since from the Latin it arises. I call you to take part in our game! Maybe to begin with, you could tell a bit about yourself, what is your work and so and so, this way we get to know Python better. :)

sknente

Цитата: Python от сентября  7, 2007, 10:53
Can you tell me, in what speak the word "germanic" was told first? Was it a germanic-speak or not?
Most likely not, but it's a given name, so we can say it. ;)
We could say "dutch", the Englysh kinsman of "Deutsch" and "duitse", but in the Englyshe of today, it bears a meaning of the name to call a kingdom overseas, whose folk go about in wooden shoes, eat oliebollen, and smoke the weed.

Wolliger Mensch

«Вот интересно, каких лингвистических жемчуг можно найти в море отодвинутых книг», Ян Гавлиш.
«Впредь прошу помнить, что придумал игру не для любых ассоциаций, а для семантически оправданных. Например, чтó это такое: ,,рулетке" — ,,выпечке"?? Тем более, что сей ляпсус я сам совершил...», Марбол
«Ветхий Завет написан на иврите и частично на армейском», Vesle Anne
«МЛ(ять)КО ... ПЛ(ять)NЪ», Тася
«Вот откроет этот спойлер, например, Марго, ничего не подозревая, а потом будут по всему форуму блюющие смайлики...», Авал
«Томан приличный мужчина. Правда по патриархальным меркам слегка голодранец», Vesle Anne
«Возможен ли фонетический переход "ж" в "п с придыханием"», forest

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр