Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

English :)

Автор Леонид, апреля 20, 2004, 22:31

andrewsiak

Цитата: NordI don't realize why the discussions have ceased. Has everyone acquired Lovermann's famous contempt of everything connected with the sweet English tongue?Why not share some awesome texts in English, e.g. Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin's (as you can see, she's originally an Irish speaker) poetry? ... ...
u better share your own poetries, it will be much much more exciting.
той ще ся не вродив, щоб усім догодив.

Nord

Цитата: andrewsiakNord пишет:
I don't realize why the discussions have ceased. Has everyone acquired Lovermann's famous contempt of everything connected with the sweet English tongue?Why not share some awesome texts in English, e.g. Eiléan Ní Chuilleanáin's (as you can see, she's originally an Irish speaker) poetry? ... ...

u better share your own poetries, it will be much much more exciting.
Sure I'd love to, but what about the copyright case. :) In the web, the boundaries between identities are too obscure. What if someone borrows 'em 'n treats 'em like his creation? :)
Mol an lá um thráthnóna. - Готовь сани летом, а телегу зимой (досл. Пой славу дню накануне вечером.)

andrewsiak

Nord

OK, OK, I'll only need some time to search for them on my hard disc. It'll definitely take some time...
Mol an lá um thráthnóna. - Готовь сани летом, а телегу зимой (досл. Пой славу дню накануне вечером.)

RawonaM

Цитата: NordOK, OK, I'll only need some time to search for them on my hard disc. It'll definitely take some time...
We got the hint :lol: I actually have nothing against famous poets' writings, it is probably more interesting than poems of an amateur, isn't it, andrewsiak?

andrewsiak

Цитата: rawonam
Цитата: NordOK, OK, I'll only need some time to search for them on my hard disc. It'll definitely take some time...
We got the hint :lol: I actually have nothing against famous poets' writings, it is probably more interesting than poems of an amateur, aren't they, andrewsiak?
yeah, but you can find famous poets everywhere, unlike 'amateur's' (as you put it) poetries. By the way, at what point, according to your logic, an 'amateur' poet becomes a 'professional' one?  :?

RawonaM

Цитата: andrewsiak
We got the hint :lol: I actually have nothing against famous poets' writings, it is probably more interesting than poems of an amateur, aren't they, andrewsiak?
yeah, but you can find famous poets everywhere, unlike 'amateur's' (as you put it) poetries. By the way, at what point, according to your logic, an 'amateur' poet becomes a 'professional' one?  :?
Have I said "professional"? I said "famous". I think there is a clear difference :)
I don't really understand much about poetry, so I leave the judging to someone else.  8)

Digamma

Nord, is "It'll" your own form, or did you see it somewhere else? (just curious)
"Я родился на корабле, но куда он плыл и откуда никто не помнит..."

RawonaM

Цитата: Digamma

Nord, is "It'll" your own form, or did you see it somewhere else? (just curious)
Digamma, this is a quite widespread form, I'm sure you have met it too.

Statistics:
1. it's : 132,000,000 times
2. it'll : 3,730,000
3. 'twas : 459,000

The last one is really an old-fashioned one.

Digamma

Цитата: rawonamDigamma, this is a quite widespread form, I'm sure you have met it too.

Well, I see now. But not, somehow I hadn't met it before. Now I looked at Google's stats and was really surprised how it missed me until now. :)

Nord

All right, ladies and gentlemen (a dhaoine uasle)! Here is a poem of mine (inspired by Walter Miller, Fallout 1&2, Vonnegut, Chesterton, Chauser and some kind of hopelessness I cannot explain now).

Pavel Dronov aka Nord (c) 2002

The Address to the Hero

Hey you, the one whos seeks his fortune in the Grail,
Why do you think that here you'll prevail?
The glory you possessed before embarkin'
Will later shift to hatred and get darkened,
And those who've known thee since thy tender age,
Won't wish to see thee, getting quite enraged...
Who knows what'll be the reason of thy death?
Who sees whose sword will soner stop thy breath?
But when thou find'st in ruins your life, your home and shrine,
Who knows, what if that bloodied blade is thine?
[/size]

andrewsiak

Digamma

Цитата: andrewsiakIt's too good to be a non-native speaker's one ;)

You can ask Google if Nord is fair. :) (I'm sure he is!)

Евгений

Цитата: NordHey
What does it mean in English? By the way, this is just like in Norwegian: Hei = Hallo :D
PAXVOBISCVM

Digamma

Цитата: Евгений
Цитата: NordHey
What does it mean in English?

Just kinda Russian "эй". E.g. "Hey, man, come on!"

Nord

Concerning 'hey you' in the beginning, it was probably influenced by Pink Floyd. Remember that? "Hey you, up there on the road//Getting lonely, getting old,//Can you hear me?//Hey you, standing in the aisles,//Can yoou see the fading smiles,//Can you hear me?". As for this poem, I have written it myself. At that moment I was sure that the mankind's doomed either to be drowned in blood or to to degenerate. That's why I wrote this one and a couple of others. I will try to find more of 'em, though. Some of 'em are too much based upon the Fallout Game, the others use Pink Floyd's songs as epigraphs, but the one I really like is "The Address to the Hero". Probably that is why I have not forgotten it nearly two years after having written that poem.

?эл?н

I agree with Andrewsiak here. Quite an amazing poem for a non-native speaker of english! I assume you have a degree in english literature, have you?

Aramis

Цитата: ?эл?нI agree with Andrewsiak here. Quite an amazing poem for a non-native speaker of english! I assume you have a degree in english literature, have you?

I think the correct tag-question should be "haven't you", shouldn't it?

RawonaM

Цитата: Aramis
Цитата: ?эл?нI agree with Andrewsiak here. Quite an amazing poem for a non-native speaker of english! I assume you have a degree in english literature, have you?

No, the correct tag-question here must be "don't you?". And, by the way, names of languages are always written capitalized.

Nord

Well, in a way I have a degree. I studied English literature at school and at the university, and my field of study is Romano-Germanic philology with all of its aspects. Besides, I simply enjoy reading Chauser (although it's quite attritional to look up a new word in a textbook on the history of English just to know how to pronounce it), Chesterton and Yeats.

Digamma

Я плакал. :)

ЦитироватьGeorge Bush has two sides of brains - a left one and a right one. In the left one there is nothing right. And in the right one there is nothing left.

RawonaM

Цитата: DigammaЯ плакал. :)

ЦитироватьGeorge Bush has two sides of brains - a left one and a right one. In the left one there is nothing right. And in the right one there is nothing left.
:_3_01  :_3_01  :_3_01
Really cool joke :_1_12

?эл?н

Цитата: Aramis

No, the correct tag-question here must be "don't you?". And, by the way, names of languages are always written capitalized.

Must be?
Mr. Rawonam, I think that you are quite нетерпимый here, aren't you?
As for the matter of a tag question here, I would like to say that, IMHO, usually tag questions use the same verb as in the main clause.

About writing language names in capital letters, you are most certainly right. Just some time ago I spilled some coffee on my keyboard and certain keys have now a tendency to get stuck or to be very dull. I think when I was typing my previous message, my keyboard was in 'dull' mood.

BTW, Is my usage of the russian word correct?

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр