Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

English :)

Автор Леонид, апреля 20, 2004, 22:31

Drunkie

Whatever.
Saying 'ope' or 'lydy', or 'proice', or 'tyke' or anything else is nothing special either. Cockney accent is about as far removed from an educated man's speech as 'zeese tables'. If you want to sound boorish - sound Cockney. But being a foreigner, you will not only sound boorish, but also you will likely misuse the expressions and miscopy the accent, which is plain stupid.

paul_kiss

Цитата: Drunkie (<b>Today</b> at 20:59:52)
If you want to sound boorish - sound Cockney.
I tried — I can't. LOL The English of The Island is very hard to imitate, for me.

Drunkie

Cockney is not the sole 'English of The Island'. There are dozens of other accents that equally belong there.
Even Brummy and Edinburgh amongst them :)

Elik

Цитата: paul_kiss от ноября 29, 2005, 20:25
In fact, I'd like to ask you, Elik, which way of speech are unnative speakers better hold to talking to natives? Since you said aints and junkies won't do, what's the alternative? To sound like a Soviet boy from a Soviet English text book?

Dear Paul Kiss,

English is so beautiful and rich! Don't waste its beauty trying to copy the ugly and poor pronounciation and expressions of the marginal groups! You must understand - all this vernacular sounds marginal to any native speaker! The vast majority of Americans and British will never use all these ain'ts!

As to your question about the unnative speakers. Just try to speak proper English. The native speakers will appreciate it much more than your juggling with the vernacular. Of course, you may use slang or even f-words. But for God's sake, use them only when you are dead sure that you use them properly! This sureness comes with the years of experience. You can't learn the vernacular from books or films. You have to live in the USA (or UK) for a good couple of years in order to start feeling what is proper and what is not.

paul_kiss

Цитата: Drunkie (<b>Today</b> at 21:20:32)
Cockney is not the sole 'English of The Island'. ...Even Brummy and Edinburgh amongst them
Both Brummy and Edinburgh and what ever in the Island - are UNPRONOUNCEABLE. For me, of course. All I'm saying is my deep humble opinion.

But another thing's about the AE. I perceive it easier. Much more than the BE. Ain't know (LOL) why, though.

Have anyone of you heard Stray Cats/Brian Setzer? Which of the American accents do they have?

Thanks for the answer, Elik.

Rezia

"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

paul_kiss

Yep, (more exactly it's neo-rockabilly, but anyway), and Brian Setzer's Orchestra is neo-swing.

Drunkie

Цитата: paul_kiss (<b>Yesterday</b> at 22:38:38)
Both Brummy and Edinburgh and what ever in the Island - are UNPRONOUNCEABLE. For me, of course. All I'm saying is my deep humble opinion.
But another thing's about the AE. I perceive it easier. Much more than the BE
I personally find AmE more standardised and therefore its accents are easier to understand. BrE has a far greater variety of accents, some of which are pretty hard to perceive, let alone imitate. But I find the standard BrE pronunciation much more natural, if you like, and it's BrE I speak. I just can't stand all this strong aRRRticulation of AmE.

Elik

It's a matter of taste. I speak AmE and see no problem with that.
And I believe that all these debates "what English is more correct: British or American?" do not sound better than the debates "what is more correct: German or Dutch / Russian or Ukrainian?"

Just let the people speak their language!
:UU:

Drunkie

'More correct'? Did I ever mention something was 'more correct'?
I thought I only spoke of my personal perception.

Elik

No, I was speaking in general. I just heard too much BS about "what pronunciation is more correct" and try to stop such discussions right from the start.

But there's nothing wrong in talking about your personal perception, of course.

To my personal perception, some British speak in such a manner that I barely recognize that they speak English.
And I'll give you a good example of "the correct British pronunciation". The songs of the Sex Pistols sounded so unintelligible to the American audience, that the producers had to put subtitles in their clips. Ridiculous, isn't it? Who would even think of putting subtitles for any Russian clip intended for Russian speakers?

Nothing personal  ;-)

Drunkie

Цитата: Elik (<b>Today</b> at 20:42:02)
To my personal perception, some British speak in such a manner that I barely recognize that they speak English
That's called 'variety of accents'. Russian is far more uniform.
Цитата: Elik (<b>Today</b> at 20:42:02)
"the correct British pronunciation". The songs of the Sex Pistols sounded so unintelligible to the American audience, that the producers had to put subtitles in their clips
The Sctottish film 'Trainspotting' was also shown with subtitles in the US, because the Yanks couldn't understand Scots. So what? That only means that Americans have little idea about how other versions of English sound - they are only familiar with that of their own. And the variety of English sung by John Lydon is not "the correct British pronunciation".

paul_kiss

Yeah, Sex Pistols have (well, had) a really cool Island twang. :) Elik, do they really speak like that in the British Island?

Drunkie

Цитата: "paul_kiss" от
Elik, do they really speak like that in the British Island?
I'm not Elik, but anyway: yes they do. And I've heard far worse examples than the Sex Pistols.
Most British rock singers try to make their accent sound less British so that the songs are better marketable in the US. Only a few actually sing/sang like they speak: The Sex Pistols, The Cure, Blur, Pulp, The Libertines, (ahemn) Depeche Mode and some others.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр