Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

English :)

Автор Леонид, апреля 20, 2004, 22:31

paul_kiss

Rezia

Цитата: paul_kiss от ноября 27, 2005, 20:50
Nope, I'm just developing the "whad...do... you" subject... :)
Ah, I see. Then "Wudja". The slang variant for "What do you do" :)
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

paul_kiss

Yeah, "wudja gonna do?"... Though I saw it written like "whatcha gonna do?".

Alaŭdo

I don't understand why people like to laugh at beginners here? If I see a mistake, I try to correct it, and not to mock the person, otherwise s/he will never dare speak English (or German, or Esperanto).

paul_kiss

Laugh/mock?  :???
No, no one's laughing at anyone here. I wouldn't dare to.  :no:

Rezia

Цитата: Alaŭdo от ноября 28, 2005, 00:03
I don't understand why people like to laugh at beginners here? If I see a mistake, I try to correct it, and not to mock the person, otherwise s/he will never dare speak English (or German, or Esperanto).
Nobody's laughing. Why?
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)

SS

Цитата: paul_kiss (<b>Today</b> at 01:13:30)
Or "how're you doing?"...
How do you do? - "Как вы это делаете?"
All right! - "Только правой!" :lol:
Rég volt, együtt jártunk még,
Bennem marad a kép, ma is oly szép:
Arcod a szélben szinte száll,
Hallom nevetésed muzsikáját.
------------------------------------------------
Á É Í Ó Ú Ö Ü Ő Ű
á é í ó ú ö ü ő ű

Drunkie

Цитата: Rezia (<b>Yesterday</b> at 21:56:29)
Ah, I see. Then "Wudja". The slang variant for "What do you do"
Looks more like 'would you' to me.

Rezia

Drunkie

Of course it may actually be "What do you do", but the number of syllables looks a bit insufficient to say the least, whilst 'would you' would look perfectly alright to me.
But I may be wrong.

paul_kiss

macabro

paul_kiss

Have anyone of'ya heard "Cockney" English? If so, does it really sound like:

Цитировать"That'll do, Yonson," one of the men said. "Carn't yer see you've bloomin' well rubbed all the gent's skin orf?"

Drunkie

Цитата: paul_kiss от ноября 28, 2005, 21:40
Have anyone of'ya heard "Cockney" English? If so, does it really sound like:

Цитировать"That'll do, Yonson," one of the men said. "Carn't yer see you've bloomin' well rubbed all the gent's skin orf?"
It does.

Elik

Цитата: macabro от ноября 28, 2005, 21:12
I ain't have no slightest idea why. ;)

Dear Macabro,
Ain't is a vernacular pronounciation of amn't, aren't, isn't, haven't, hasn't.
But it never replaces don't!
So there ain't no expression like "I ain't have...", only "I don't have".

Drunkie

Well actually you might say "I ain't have" but that would only give away that you are  not, hm, very educated or clever.

macabro

Elik, I ain't sure, actually.. :) I'll try to find some examples in rap music.. yeah, it's rap music I believe when it comes to language learning, because no other materials can provide so nice explanations of use of some words/expressions in the modern, "alive" language

Drunkie

Цитата: macabro (<b>Today</b> at 18:07:09)
yeah, it's rap music I believe when it comes to language learning, because no other materials can provide so nice explanations of use of some words/expressions in the modern, "alive" language
That's right. Most rappers are not educated and many are not clever. So if you only plan to practise your English conversing with drug dealers and pimps in Harlem or Hackney - good luck. But if you want to ever use this language in a more decent company, you'd better be careful with using expressions you hear in rap lyrics.

Rezia

Цитата: Drunkie от ноября 29, 2005, 09:05
Well actually you might say "I ain't have" but that would only give away that you are  not, hm, very educated or clever.
Maybe you've heard "I ain't having" and mistook it for "I ain't have".

Elik

Listen, you guys,

I'd like to give you a strong advice: stop messing around with the English vernacular! Any foreigner who uses all these "aint's" or "we be rockin'" sounds very funny to the native English speakers. The same with the slang. Of course, any foreigner can use the words like "lousy" or "junkie", but never try to imitate the speech of the rappers or some cockney boys - it sounds pretty ridiculous.

Leave the vernacular to whom it belongs - to Texas ranchers, London cockneys, Bronx niggaz, etc. Otherwise you will inevitably find yourself in an incomfortable situation. Believe me. I have a rich and unpleasant experience of misusing the vernacular, so don't repeat my mistakes.

paul_kiss

Well, in fact I did hear "I ain't have no idea", f.e.... Native speakers, of course. But Elik's post makes me think deeper about all that...
:eat:

In fact, I'd like to ask you, Elik, which way of speech are unnative speakers better hold to talking to natives? Since you said aints and junkies won't do, what's the alternative? To sound like a Soviet boy from a Soviet English text book: with our Slavic "rrr" and "I sink" instead of "I think" and "zeese tables" instead of "these tables"?
::)

Yeah, and how about "what the heck"/"what the hell"/"goddamn"/f-words? Should we omit them also not to sound ridiculous?

Rezia

Цитата: Elik от ноября 29, 2005, 19:58
Any foreigner who uses all these "aint's" or "we be rockin'" sounds very funny to the native English speakers. The same with the slang.
I think the same is with using too many idioms. The advanced courses of English offer a great deal of them. So students may believe that an Englishman can't do without these expressions which are sometimes rather old-fashioned or rare.

Drunkie

Цитата: paul_kiss (<b>Today</b> at 21:25:10)
with our Slavic "rrr" and "I sink" instead of "I think" and "zeese tables" instead of "these tables
I think what was discussed was vocabulary, not pronunciation.
Цитата: paul_kiss (<b>Today</b> at 21:25:10)
"what the heck"/"what the hell"/"goddamn
These look quite alright to me. My favourite expression of lazy indifference is 'Oh well, what the hell'. Never got into any trouble saying that.

paul_kiss

Цитата: Drunkie (<b>Today</b> at 20:32:55)
I think what was discussed was vocabulary, not pronunciation.
Here, in the thing we're kind of discussing, the pronunciation doesn't go to far from the vocabulary. Just look at the example of the Cockney English I gave yesterday - it's mainly about pronunciation. Another illustration:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
"I only 'ope yer don't ever 'ave to get used to such as that in this life, 'cos you've got a bloomin' soft skin, that you 'ave, more like a lydy's than any I know of. I was bloomin' well sure you was a gentleman as soon as I set eyes on yer."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Vocabulary here is nothing especial. But those «'ope» or «lydy» — it's a way of sounding. And I thought we were going around not trying to imitate that.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр