Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

English :)

Автор Леонид, апреля 20, 2004, 22:31

paul_kiss

Цитата: Sonia
Цитата: RawonaMI can hardly believe, though I understand it is the current fashion to blame Americans...
No, it's not. It is the fact that they've deteriorated English... well... In my opinion(and not only), that "thing" hardly can be called English...
Yes, it IS English. Any other opinions about AE are pure emotions.

Sonia

Цитата: paul_kisswell, it depends on who is speaking, actually...
you have a point;--)
Цитата: paul_kissMaybe I'm wrong but I think there's the main way of making inversion in English: "it is/was ... that/who ...".
Let's just forget about that... I can't explain why such variant is right too... maybe when I'll found the book calls "Inversions for excellent" we'll continue this discussion... Ok? Honestly, I don't remember that rule :oops:
Ja kelpo sivallus tai kaks
Koht' opin näyttää oikeaks.

RawonaM

Цитата: Sonia
Цитата: RawonaMI can hardly believe, though I understand it is the current fashion to blame Americans...
No, it's not. It is the fact that they've deteriorated English... well... In my opinion(and not only), that "thing" hardly can be called English...
Well, there are always two opinions on such things: social and scientific. The social is always about being "better or worse", the scientific is about being "different".
Until now you expressed the former, I maintained the last.

But I still somehow belong to human society, so I could say that the British deteriorated English, at least by dropping the r's... 8) Shakespeare would not have forgiven them. :mrgreen:

Sonia

Цитата: RawonaMBut I still somehow belong to human society, so I could say that the British deteriorated English, at least by dropping the r's...  Shakespeare would not have forgiven them.
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Yes, yes and yes... You know, I had a funny situation... I was going to England... It promised me well to hear the native speakers... oh, how happy I was...
But when I'd come there I had a shock. I'd asked one British man what was thy name.... in a word, he hadn't understood me...  The same reaction was for hath...
Well... but at least they'd a good pronounce :D

Rezia

Цитата: paul_kiss
ЦитироватьMy curiosity assosiated me to take in my hands dictionaries.
I would say this phrase this way: "My curiosity made me take dictionaries to my hands"...
Why would you say with "to"? "In hands" seems ok here.
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

paul_kiss

Sonia,
sorry, but I still wanna know what you meant by "voc-ry".

Цитироватьthy name
Yep, the King James Bible style. "Thou shalt not kill" or "Thy word have I hidden in my heart that I might not sin against Thee".

Here's a Cockney example from "Sea Wolf" by J. London:

Цитировать"Look 'ere, 'Ump," he began, a malicious light in his eyes and a snarl in his throat; "d'ye want yer nose punched? If you think I'm a thief, just keep it to yerself, or you'll find 'ow bloody well mistyken you are. Strike me blind if this ayn't gratitude for yer! 'Ere you come, a pore mis'rable specimen of 'uman scum, an' I tykes yer into my galley an' treats yer 'ansom, an' this is wot I get for it. Nex' time you can go to 'ell, say I, an' I've a good mind to give you what-for anyw'y."

RawonaM

Цитата: paul_kisssorry, but I still wanna know what you meant by "voc-ry".
vocabulary.

Sonia

RawonaM,
Цитата: RawonaMpaul_kiss пишет:
sorry, but I still wanna know what you meant by "voc-ry".
vocabulary.
:wink:  :yes:
paul_kiss,
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun;
Coral is far more red than her lips' red;
if snow be white, why than her breasts are dun;
If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head....
and so on.... this is like  the siren song for me:) I like all this archaics.... they're like a mirracle:roll:
Цитата: paul_kissHere's a Cockney example from "Sea Wolf" by J. London:

Цитата:
"Look 'ere, 'Ump," he began, a malicious light in his eyes and a snarl in his throat; "d'ye want yer nose punched? If you think I'm a thief, just keep it to yerself, or you'll find 'ow bloody well mistyken you are. Strike me blind if this ayn't gratitude for yer! 'Ere you come, a pore mis'rable specimen of 'uman scum, an' I tykes yer into my galley an' treats yer 'ansom, an' this is wot I get for it. Nex' time you can go to 'ell, say I, an' I've a good mind to give you what-for anyw'y."
sorry for swear, but this is rubbish.... my God...

paul_kiss

Цитата: Soniasorry for swear, but this is rubbish.... my God...
I think this be more close to the British spoken (colloquial) language.

Sonia

paul_kiss

Цитата: Soniapaul_kiss,
but it's still a kind of swear:)
The guy whom belong those words was speaking exactly this way.

paul_kiss

Цитата: Soniapaul_kiss,
but it's still a kind of swear:)
The guy whom belong those words was speaking exactly this way.

makepeace

Swear or not swear, the important thing about the quotation was that the writer used the original phonetics of the person: "tikes" instead of "takes" and other changes in pronunciation :)

paul_kiss

And note -- it was made mainly with a tiny small apostrophe - '.

Here are another examples of that twang:

Цитировать"Look at 'im run! Look at 'im run!" I could hear him crying. "An' with a gyme leg at that! Come on back, you pore little mamma's darling. I won't 'it yer; no, I won't."

Цитировать"Ah, my boy," he shook his head ominously at me, "'tis the worst schooner ye could iv selected, nor were ye drunk at the time as was I. 'Tis sealin' is the sailor's paradise -- on other ships than this. The mate was the first, but mark me words, there'll be more dead men before the trip is done with. Hist, now, between you an' meself and the stanchion there, this Wolf Larsen is a regular devil, an' the Ghost'll be a hell-ship like she's always ben since he had hold iv her. Don't I know? Don't I know? Don't I remember him in Hakodate two years gone, when he had a row an' shot four iv his men? Wasn't I a-layin' on the Emma L., not three hundred yards away? An' there was a man the same year he killed with a blow iv his fist. Yes, sir, killed 'im dead-oh. His head must iv smashed like an eggshell. An' wasn't there the Governor of Kura Island, an' the Chief iv Police, Japanese gentlemen, sir, an' didn't they come aboard the Ghost as his guests, abringin' their wives along -- wee an' pretty little bits of things like you see 'em painted on fans. An' as he was a-gettin' under way, didn't the fond husbands get left astern-like in their sampan, as it might be by accident? An' wasn't it a week later that the poor little ladies was put ashore on the other side of the island, with nothin' before 'em but to walk home acrost the mountains on their weeny- teeny little straw sandals which wouldn't hang together a mile? Don't know? 'Tis the beast he is, this Wolf Larsen -- the great big beast mentioned iv in Revelation; an' no good end will he ever come to. But I've said nothin' to ye, mind ye. I've whispered never a word; for old fat Louis'll live the voyage out if the last mother's son of yez go to the fishes."

Sonia

paul_kiss

Sonia

paul_kiss

Sonia

Artyom

SS

Rég volt, együtt jártunk még,
Bennem marad a kép, ma is oly szép:
Arcod a szélben szinte száll,
Hallom nevetésed muzsikáját.
------------------------------------------------
Á É Í Ó Ú Ö Ü Ő Ű
á é í ó ú ö ü ő ű

Rezia

"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)

paul_kiss

Rezia

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр