Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

English :)

Автор Леонид, апреля 20, 2004, 22:31

Леонид

Good evening, dear friends. I sincerely hope that Admin of this forum will agree to give his generous permission to dedicate this page to particular detalis of English, that are important for those who already have a good command of this language, but sometimes encounter specific peculiarities that raise difficulties.

Efficiency and effectiveness. Which of these words corresponds to the Russian "эффективность", and which - "действенность"? Explanations to both are given below.

ЦитироватьEfficiency pertains to the relationship between resources and outcomes, while effectiveness refers to realization of goals.

I won't object if you remove this topic; I acknowledge that it a bit dissonates.

Excuse me for prolonged non-responding to the messages addressed to me in Bulgarian and Polish sections; but I'm currently infernally busy.

Thanx.

RawonaM

Цитата: ЛеонидGood evening, dear friends
2u2!

Цитата: ЛеонидAdmin of this forum will agree to give his generous permission to dedicate this page to particular detalis of English
Well, first of all, am I considered the one who decides what to talk about and gives permissions on some subjects and objects to the others? :roll: If so, I should revise my strategy, that's not whom I wanted to be... :?
Second, permission granted.  :wink:

Цитата: ЛеонидI won't object if you remove this topic;
No way! Why should we...?

Цитата: ЛеонидI acknowledge that it a bit dissonates
Can you explain why you think so?

Цитата: ЛеонидEfficiency and effectiveness. Which of these words corresponds to the Russian "эффективность", and which - "действенность"? Explanations to both are given below.
I'm not sure I understand the difference between those two Russian words. It seems that you, Leonid, also don't, for if you see the explanation, in what the English words differ, you should be able to attach them to the corresponding Russian ones, if it is possible at all (I don't actually understand why you need it...), because, you see, I'm definitely against translating from one language to another, for I think we lose much of the meaning by doing that, it is enough to understand the English words, unless you plan to be a real-time translator :)
Neither do I see a clear difference in English. If someone has an idea, please share.

andrewsiak

Цитата: ЛеонидEfficiency and effectiveness. Which of these words corresponds to the Russian "эффективность", and which - "действенность"? Explanations to both are given below.

ЦитироватьEfficiency pertains to the relationship between resources and outcomes, while effectiveness refers to realization of goals.
I read somewhere that "the war in Afghanistan was effective but not efficient".
той ще ся не вродив, щоб усім догодив.

Digamma

Evening!

Well, I think Webster is the only thing we need here... :)

Цитата: Webster
Efficiency
I. noun The ratio of useful work to energy expended.
II. noun The quality of being efficient or producing an effect or effects; efficient power; effectual agency.

Цитата: Webster
Effectiveness
noun The quality of being effective.

It's clear from here that Efficiency is rather measure: even second meaning refers to "quality of being producing". Thus "действенность" is Effectiveness and "эффективность" should be translated as Efficience.
"Я родился на корабле, но куда он плыл и откуда никто не помнит..."

RawonaM

Цитата: andrewsiak

I read somewhere that "the war in Afghanistan was effective but not efficient".
Cool, this is really a good example, it makes everything transparent. Interesting, how should we actually translate this sentence?

Digamma

Цитата: rawonam
Цитата: AndrewsiakI read somewhere that "the war in Afghanistan was effective but not efficient".
Cool, this is really a good example, it makes everything transparent. Interesting, how should we actually translate this sentence?

Maybe "война в Афганистане была результативной, но не эффективной". It's just an idea, nothing more... :)

BTW, will you give to Lovermann permissions to write here in Esperanto? ;)

RawonaM

Цитата: DigammaBTW, will you give to Lovermann permissions to write here in Esperanto?
Honestly, just yesterday I thought to open two new threads here - English and Esperanto. Is there some new device for reading thoughts via internet? 8)

P.S. I'll be glad to hear corrections, if someone sees mistakes in my posts, and if someone wants to be corrected too, state that please :)

Digamma

Цитата: rawonamIs there some new device for reading thoughts via internet? 8)

Yep. A head. It's completely new device for me. ;)

FYI, I mean not to open new topic for Lovermann, but to allow him to post here in Esperanto - I can rememeber his mood about English. :) (joke!)

RawonaM

Цитата: DigammaFYI,
What's this abbreviation?

Цитата: DigammaI mean not to open new topic for Lovermann, but to allow him to post here in Esperanto - I can rememeber his mood about English.  (joke!)
Yes, over my dead body. :P

Digamma

Цитата: DigammaFYI,
What's this abbreviation?

For Your Information.

Another abbreviation used quite often is ASAP (As Soon As Possible).
And IMHO too. :)

RawonaM

Цитата: DigammaAnother abbreviation used quite often is ASAP (As Soon As Possible).
Yeah, this one I know. I was taught it in highschool, because it is formal, as opposed to the other ones, which are used often, but informally. I like most AFAIK and IMHO, among those.

Digamma

Цитата: DigammaAnother abbreviation used quite often is ASAP (As Soon As Possible).
Yeah, this one I know. I was taught it in highschool, because it is formal, as opposed to the other ones, which are used often, but informally. I like most AFAIK and IMHO, among those.

FYI, AFAIK ASAP is MRU (IMHO). ;) ;) ;)

NB! MRU = most-recently used

Rōmānus

I thought I knew English in all of its forms very well, by the same token I have never encountered an abbreviation I would not understand. Till today... Can anyone shed some light into my dark head and explain what a heck "AFAIK" means?

BTW, I have some really often used to quote: BYOB. Does anyone know what it stands for? :lol:
Надежда - мать дураков (с) Литовская пословица

Digamma

Цитата: RomanCan anyone shed some light into my dark head and explain what a heck "AFAIK" means?

BTW, I have some really often used to quote: BYOB. Does anyone know what it stands for? :lol:

AFAIK means "as far as I know".

AFAIK ;), BYOB is YABA meaning "bring your own booze/bottle/beer" (depending on taste :)).

BTW, YABA = "yet another bloody acronim". ;)

Физик

AFAIK (:)) it stands for Bring Your Own Bottle - accompanying postscript to invitation cards. Kinda У нас с собой было.
FYI: If you are interested in acronyms, there are two sites 4U:
http://www.acronymfinder.com
and http://sokr.ru.
Цитата: rawonamYeah, this one I know. I was taught it in highschool, because it is formal, as opposed to the other ones, which are used often, but informally.
In addition to ASAP, acronyms like FYI are RSVP quite formal as well.
Когда я хочу услышать что-нибудь умное, я начинаю говорить

Физик

Когда я хочу услышать что-нибудь умное, я начинаю говорить

Lida

OK. Now I know why there is no-one in the Polish section :)
I'd like to join you sometimes in here as well.
Good luck, folks !

RawonaM

Цитата: LidaOK. Now I know why there is no-one in the Polish section
Why? :) I think the Polish thread is dead since Tvid ceased to frequent this forum.  :lol:

Цитата: LidaI'd like to join you sometimes in here as well.
Welcome! :)

Цитата: LidaGood luck, folks !
Thanks!

Леонид

Цитата: rawonamI think the Polish thread is dead since Tvid ceased to frequent this forum.  :lol:

No, you are absolutely wrong. I'd participate in the Polish forum with great pleasure, if I had time. But due to lack of time everything I can afford now is only to read what others write, as a brief rest, but not to engage into conversations. But I'll be back to Polish and other topics later.

RawonaM

Цитата: ЛеонидNo, you are absolutely wrong. I'd participate in the Polish forum with great pleasure, if I had time.
I can't be wrong here, I just stated a fact :) I hope you'll help to revive that thread.

Veronique

Hello there!
I'am seeking your oppinion on the following:
e.x.: Hopefully your English is not THAT bad as your Russian (no strings attached :-))
I think THAT is correctly used here, to emphasize the meaning so to say. Though I don't know any rule as such to prove it. What do you think? Thanx in advance.

Digamma

Цитата: VeroniqueHello there!
I'am seeking your oppinion on the following:
e.x.: Hopefully your English is not THAT bad as your Russian (no strings attached :-))
I think THAT is correctly used here, to emphasize the meaning so to say. Though I don't know any rule as such to prove it. What do you think? Thanx in advance.

I think Veronique knows at least one programming language. ;)

Nando

Hello!! how are you? May I join to you?  ... Let's discuss any themes in English!!!...I think that we can find interesting themes , and we discuss it about everything.... I want to tell you ,that In the last year, i lived one year in America in the city "Chicago"  I like this city I had seen for many interesting  things,I had impression from this city And also I worked in the Chicago and I have earned  a lot of money.... I Adore this city, it`s a little story about me  good See you later!!

Veronique

Hello!
Dimma should I be flattered by your response? :-)
What about the question I've asked?
Nando, if you are so fond of Chicago, what made you leave it?

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр