Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

idioms

Автор Sabina, февраля 17, 2006, 14:52

Sabina

I've noticed the usage of the words 'Dutch' and 'cat' in English phraseology is mostly negative, isn't it? Do you have any ideas on the matter?

Rezia

Well, the idea that "cat" is used with negative connotation... I' ve never heard of that. Could you provide examples?
As for "Dutch", yes, it's negative, because of the wars in the XVII-th century and the competiton between England and Holland (at sea). E.g. Dutch comfort, Dutch defence, Dutch concert, Dutch courage.
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

Rezia

Not so long ago I read somewhere that in the nineties there was a special guide issued by "L.A. Times". This was a description of what can be said in mass media and what should be avoided. So according to this guide such idioms (with the word "Dutch") should not be mentioned in newspaper articles, news programs and so on. They bear pejorative coloring, as well as "black", "Negro", etc.
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)

Radley

There probaby is some negativism attached to the word 'cat'. Just remember expressions like 'not enough room to swing a cat' or 'curiosity killed the cat'. Animal cruelty at its worst.
'Tomcat', on the other hand, is very far from negative, quite the contrary :)

macabro

Цитировать'not enough room to swing a cat'
:E:
nice one!  :D

Rezia

Цитата: Radley от февраля 18, 2006, 13:45
'Tomcat'
It is not an idiom. It should be at least two words long. Well, there are many idioms with the word "cat" which are positive. Like a cat that stole the cream (satisfied), like a cat with nine lives (powerful).

Radley

Цитата: "Rezia" от
It is not an idiom. It should be at least two words long
Nah, I know it's not an idiom. It was just the first cat-related positive example I could think of :)

celine99

Is there an idiom 'it's raining cats and dogs'? Or is it outdated? It's not positive though

Radley

Came across that one a few times in writing. Never in oral speech though.

Seryj Slon

Цитата: celine99 от июня 27, 2006, 13:27
Is there an idiom 'it's raining cats and dogs'? Or is it outdated? It's not positive though
I heard the modern variant of this idiom -- 'it's pissing cats and dogs'  ;D this came from my acquaintance who knew English far better than I...

Seryj Slon

Sorry, this variant sounds just as 'it`s pissing down', without cats or dogs.

Rezia

I wonder whether it is possible to say "he/she is ..." in this case, using "piss" in its direct (low) meaning. What is more it seems there's some kind of elevation of meaning for the verb "to piss" in this context  - it's pissing cats and dogs, as it is about the rain, which is inanimate, not about a person.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр