Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

The importance of listening comprehension in English

Автор Bercutt, ноября 8, 2011, 22:24

Bercutt

People develop not only comprehension skills in English by watching English movies (films) and other programmes on video, on TV or on the Internet, or by listening to BBC English, the Voice of America and other programmes and audio/video recordings for learning English.
People also listen to and learn different accents and peculiarities of English usage in real life settings in different English speaking countries by native English speakers in terms of pronunciation, grammar, vocabulary and style (formal and informal English). Informal English includes colloquial, slang and dialectal usage.
People can watch English feature films, news, documentary movies, educational programmes (travel, country study, etc.) and other programmes of one's interest (interviews, discussions, debates on many issues, sport, etc). It would be useful to watch programmes with diverse content to encompass a variety of important topics and issues of daily life.
In my view good feature films show scenes, events, situations, human relations and actions that ordinary people often experience in life. Good feature films reflect real life events (for example films with historical plot), have interesting and educational content and are morally and psychologically positive and edifying.
Good feature films meet spiritual and entertainment needs of people to a certain extent among other things.
Documentary movies, travel, news, country study and other educational programmes/videos are also informative.
It is a good idea to practise speaking and discussions of issues in English after watching English movies and other programmes.
It is helpful for learners and teachers of English to watch, to collect and to record movies (films) and other programmes with good useful content in English to develop better English skills.

Borovik

What is the purpose of this lengthy speculation? All of your propositions are in fact self-evident. What is your message? What is it specifically that you'd like to discuss at this board? What kind of discussion you intend to elicit with this?

Bercutt

I just wanted to know the thoughts of learners and other users of this forum about their personal experience in practising listening comprehension in English and about the effects of English listening practice on developing other skills in English in particular speaking skills.

Borovik

This is again a very broad and vague problem statement. To initiate a meaningful discussion, pose a specific question

Bercutt

Let me ask some questions on listening in English to generate easier discussions:

1. What English audio and video materials with diverse practical helpful content and extensive vocabulary on a variety of topics and issues are useful for practising listening comprehension in English?

2. Is it expedient to practise speaking and discussions on the content of the texts learners have listened to?

3. How helpful is listening in English to develop better English speaking skills?
As you know the actual process of oral communication consists of two integral parts: listening and speaking.

Borovik

1. All
2. Yes
3. The two skills do not directly affect one another. Hence: not really, unless you actually practice speaking

Bercutt

The actual process of oral communication consists of two integral parts: listening and speaking.

Regular long-term listening to various authentic English audio and video materials helps a learner produce his or her own sentences more quickly and with better wording when speaking than without adequate practice in listening comprehension in English.

Listening practice in English is also very important because foreign learners of English living and learning English in non-English speaking countries have limited opportunities for regular long-term oral communication in English with native speakers of English on a variety of topics and issues using comprehensive content and extensive vocabulary.

And both listening and speaking content of various topics and extensive vocabulary can be covered in practising listening comprehension in English (for example in listening to dialogues, discussions, debates, interviews, narrations, etc).

It is a good idea to practise speaking and discussions of issues in English after listening to texts and programmes in English.

Borovik

Bercutt,
at this moment you seem to be practicing writing rather than listening comprehension :)

Квас

By the way, Bercutt, who do you aim at? Students, teachers, autodidacts? Usually your posts make me think of language courses, even thought you don't mention them explicitly; and I'd say teachers are more likely to be your target.
Пишите письма! :)

Bercutt

I've created articles on learning and practising English speaking, grammar, vocabulary, idioms, listening comprehension, reading and on practising English on one's own. My suggestions may serve as a concise but valuable guide on learning, practising and eventually mastering English. My tips and advice are equally suitable for self-study and classroom use.  My informative project is intended solely as exchange of information for the purposes of knowledge improvement and idea production for learners and even for teachers of English (to concentrate on major points) which can help them in their English language activities. It is up to users of this forum to agree or disagree with my views and suggestions.
I hope my messages (submissions, contributions) on the issues of learning and using English are helpful to learners and even teachers of English as a second or a foreign language. People can forget or may not take into consideration or may not know some important points in their English language activities. I do not claim that I am more knowledgeable in issues of mastering English and of course I do not try to impose a thought that my suggestions are to be followed. I accept valid critical assessments (judgements) of my views and my opinions. I just want to exchange views and opinions and discuss issues of English with other users and to give them helpful implementable creative ideas for mastering English.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр