Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Difficulties and problems in learning English

Автор Bercutt, ноября 3, 2011, 22:18

Bercutt

Different students can have different difficulties and problems in learning English. They can make different mistakes in English pronunciation, grammar, orthography and vocabulary usage.
There is a connection between the native language of a learner and particular difficulties in learning and using English and the kind of mistakes a learner typically makes in English pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary as there is native language interference in learning and using English.
Listening comprehension and speaking in English are the skills generally more frequently used than reading and writing in daily living in an English speaking country. Listening comprehension and speaking in English are more difficult and more important for learners to master than reading and writing. When reading and writing a text a learner has more time for thinking and pauses than when listening and speaking in English in daily living.
A learner can also look up unknown vocabulary in English dictionaries and use other English reference books when reading and writing a text in English which is impossible when listening and speaking in English. Therefore listening comprehension and speaking in English are more difficult than reading and writing.
English vocabulary for daily living requires more time and is more difficult to master by foreign learners than English grammar. One of my articles in this forum describes difficulties in learning English vocabulary.
I highly recommend that learners read the reference book titled Practical English Usage by Michael Swan to reduce making mistakes in English.

Квас

Цитата: Bercutt от ноября  3, 2011, 22:18
I highly recommend that learners read the reference book titled Practical English Usage by Michael Swan to reduce making mistakes in English.

Fortunately it can easily be googled. :) Indeed it's a sort of a reference book, a thick one at that. Could you give some tips how to use it more efficiently?
Пишите письма! :)

Bercutt

The reference book Practical English Usage by Michael Swan contains short clear articles on all the grammatical problems which regularly cause difficulty to foreign learners. In addition, it deals with selected points of vocabulary, idiom, style, pronunciation and spelling. The main differences between British and American usage are also dealt with. At the end of the book there is an alphabetical index of all the articles (entries) that are also arranged alphabetically in the book so that a learner or a teacher of English can easily find the topic or the word that present a problem for them. The book is intended for intermediate and advanced students, and for teachers of English.
It is the most useful and comprehensive English reference book for foreign learners of English. No other book or online materials can match this book in terms of useful and comprehensive content.

Квас

Цитата: Bercutt от ноября  3, 2011, 23:38
all the articles (entries) that are also arranged alphabetically in the book

Exactly. I don't much trust to alphabetical ordering. It clearly shows that there is no system nor logic—just a heap of facts arranged in such a way that they can easily be  referenced in case of need. No one is supposed to learn a dictionary by heart; I guess no one is supposed to learn Swan's book by heart word after word either.

Bercutt

Maybe you would like to examine the following books for foreign learners of English. I'll be abstaining from making any comments on them:

Mastering Advanced English Language (book by Sara Thorne, UK, 2008, 544 pages).
Advanced ESL for International Students (by Heinz Tengler, Jason Grasse).
Advanced English Practice (by Graver, with key, 320 pages, Oxford University Press).
English for All Levels: An Essential Reference for all students and learners of English, 2006, 442 pages).
Speaking English Fluently (by Al Saghir, 2006, 428 pages).
The Big Book of How to Say It (book by Rosalie Maggio, 2001, 890 pages).
Practical English (3 books by Tim Harris, 1986, 1987, 1988, 260 pages+292 p.+333 p.)
Choose the Right Word (by S.I.Hayakawa, E. Ehrlich, 1994, New York, USA, 514 pages and long index of words).
Langenscheidt Pocket Merriam-Webster Dictionary of Synonyms and Antonyms (explains differences in synonym meanings, paperback, 1998, 448 pages).

Квас

Thanks for the tips, Berkutt!

As for Practical English Usage, it must be of more use for a teacher than for a student.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр