Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

I did impeticos thy gratility

Автор Ausgezeichnet, августа 30, 2011, 11:56

Ausgezeichnet

What on earth does the word 'impeticos' mean? I've found it in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, Act 2 Scene 3:
Цитата: Shakespeare
Clown
I did impeticos thy gratility; for Malvolio's nose is no whipstock: my lady has a white hand, and the Myrmidons are no bottle-ale houses.
I can't find the meaning in any dictionaries nor on the Internet, so thought I to seek help here on Lingvoforum :).
By the way, the sense of the rest of the phrase is not quite clear to me either.

What do you think of it?

Уттыԓьын

Цитироватьimpeticos: burlesque word put into the mouth of a fool, app. as a perversion of 'impocket', and perhaps intended to suggest 'petticoat' Tw.N. II. iii. 28.
A Shakespeare Glossary. C. T. Onions. Oxford. Clarendon Press. 1911.

Цитироватьimpeticos "thy gratillity," TWELFTH NIGHT, ii. 3. 25. This jargon, according to Hanmer, means "impocket thy gratuity." Johnson proposed to read"impeticoat thy gratuity," observing that "fools were kept in long coats, to which the allusion is made;" and hence the remark of Douce (in opposition to Ritson) that the allowed fool was occasionally (like the idiot fool) dressed in petticoats. (When a boy at Aberdeen, I remember seeing a fullgrown man, an idiot, who wore a long petticoat, and was led about the streets, as an object of charity, by his mother.) I quite agree with Malone that here "the reading of the old copy should not be disturbed."
A General Glossary to Shakespeare's Works. Alexander Dyce. Boston. Dana Estes and Company. 1904.

ЦитироватьImpeticos, a word coined by the fool, meaning impocket or something like it: Tw. II, 3, 27.
Shakespeare Lexicon. Alexander Schmidt. Berlin. Georg Reimer. 1902.
«Ӣяму́н маю̄лътуң, нага́лъютки́ иля́галӷӣт.»

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр