Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

prefix "im" in "immune"?

Автор Сергей2020, августа 11, 2011, 23:00

Сергей2020

Hello
Need a help.
what will happen if we delete "im" from word "immune"?
google tells that it is still the same as "immune" but I have doubt.
should "mune" be opposite to "immune" for English speakers (like with deleting of "im" from "impossible" - meaning is opposite.)?
is "im" always opposition?
thanks to all in advance.

Alexandra A

В латинском есть прилагательное mūnis = любезный, обходительный.

Однокоренное с mūnus, mūneris = обязанность, служба.

Прилагательное immūnis означает свободный от повинностей, освобождённый от чего-то.

Приставка im- является вариантом приставки in- перед губными.

Есть приставка in- (и её вариант im-) выражающая отрицание.
Есть приставка in- (и её вариант im-) выражающая что что-то находится внутри, или стремится внутрь, например:

portō, portāvī, portātum, portāre = нести
importō, importāvī, importātum, importāre = ввозить

P.S. Вопрос вообще не имеет отношения к английскому языку - это латинский...
taximagulus segouax caius iulius kent 25 august 55 before the common era
marcus tullius quintus tullius arpinum 6 may 51 before the common era

Квас

Цитата: Alexandra A от августа 11, 2011, 23:21
P.S. Вопрос вообще не имеет отношения к английскому языку - это латинский...

What do you mean? The question is whether modern English speakers interpret im- in immune as a negative prefix. This has nothing to do with Latin. Actually I argued a while ago that a similar question was out of place in the Latin language.
Пишите письма! :)

Уттыԓьын

Despite the negative prefix there is no English word 'mune' (from this root). The first antonym of 'immune (from)' that comes to mind is 'susceptible (to)'. Others are possible.
«Ӣяму́н маю̄лътуң, нага́лъютки́ иля́галӷӣт.»

Сергей2020

Цитата: Уттыԓьын от августа 12, 2011, 00:12
Despite the negative prefix there is no English word 'mune' (from this root). The first antonym of 'immune (from)' that comes to mind is 'susceptible (to)'. Others are possible.
does it mean that in this case interpretation of "mune" by English speakers is not opposite to "immune"?

by the way may someone write examples of words with "im" where deleting of "im" does not change meaning to opposite?

I'm asking about "immune" because it can be roughly interpreted as "i'm mune" and in this case we can interpret that "mune" = "immune" - so question is if this interpretion can "work" for English speakers without problems with usual meaning of prefix "im"?

Уттыԓьын

Цитата: Сергей2020 от августа 12, 2011, 09:33does it mean that in this case interpretation of "mune" by English speakers is not opposite to "immune"?
There is no such English word as 'mune'. It does not mean anything and a fortiori does not mean the opposite of 'immune'.

Цитата: Сергей2020 от августа 12, 2011, 09:33by the way may someone write examples of words with "im" where deleting of "im" does not change meaning to opposite?
Cases where the deletion of the prefix in-/im-/il- &c.  has no effect on the meaning occur because the prefix in question is not the negative prefix. So, e.g., 'inflammable' & 'flammable' < Latin in- adv. and prep. 'into, in, within; on, upon; towards, against' (cf. '(im)press', '(im)mire', '(im)pend', &c., though these pairs are often semantically distinguishable by the nuance expressed).

Цитата: Сергей2020 от августа 12, 2011, 09:33I'm asking about "immune" because it can be roughly interpreted as "i'm mune" and in this case we can interpret that "mune" = "immune" - so question is if this interpretion can "work" for English speakers without problems with usual meaning of prefix "im"?
The word 'immune' cannot be interpreted as "i'm mune". Or rather, to interpret it in this way results in a meaningless expression. It does not work.
«Ӣяму́н маю̄лътуң, нага́лъютки́ иля́галӷӣт.»

agrammatos

Цитата: Сергей2020 от августа 12, 2011, 09:33I'm asking about "immune" because it can be roughly interpreted as "i'm mune" and in this case we can interpret that "mune" = "immune" - so question is if this interpretion can "work" for English speakers without problems with usual meaning of prefix "im"?
Цитата: OLD от immune (adj.) mid-15c., "free; exempt," back formation from  immunity. < ... ... ...  > Specific modern medical sense of "exempt from a disease" (typically because of inoculation) is from 1881. Immune system attested by 1917.
Якби ви вчились так, як треба,
То й мудрість би була своя.
/ Тарас Шевченко/

Сергей2020

thanks for your answers and examples. it helps.
from your answers I concluded that:
If I "create" the artificial formula "umune = you + immune" then nobody will associate it with any other opposite meaning (like "you are obliged" - from Latin "munus"), because they won't understand it at all.
is it correct?

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр