Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Language teaching

Автор RawonaM, декабря 6, 2005, 00:09

RawonaM

What do you think: how much attention should be given to the pronunciation?  It's known that English speakers are used to different pronunciations, so it's not a problem for English learners, but what about other languages? How do people react to foreign accent in France, Germany etc?

Amateur

Цитата: RawonaM от декабря  6, 2005, 00:09
What do you think: how much attention should be devoted to the pronunciation?  It's known that English speakers are used to different pronunciations, so it's not a problem for English learners,
There is a very hard problem in aural comprehension of native English speakers by non-native ones. A few months ago, I used to meet an old Irish man. He said my English was good, but he could not understand why I could answer him only after he had repeated something like "Those trees are nice, aren't they?" four or five times.  :green:

RawonaM

Цитата: "Amateur" от
There is a very hard problem in aural comprehension of native English speakers by non-native ones.
Oh yeah, I know it very well. When the Irish talk in movies, sometimes I have to rewind a few times to understand what they say. :)
It's more inconvenient during real conversation — no rewind button. ;D

Drunkie

During a real conversation you can always ask to repeat or (better) to rephrase.
Ability to comprehend an accent depends primarily on your amount of exposure to it.

RawonaM

Цитата: "Drunkie" от
During a real conversation you can always ask to repeat or (better) to rephrase.
Sense of humor?.. Imagine a conversation when each phrase is repeated.

Цитата: "Drunkie" от
Ability to comprehend an accent depends primarily on your amount of exposure to it.
No doubt.

Drunkie

Цитата: "RawonaM" от
Imagine a conversation when each phrase is repeated.
Sometimes, there's simply no other choice. It's better than no conversation at all.

Elik

I remember as an Irish woman told me: "I have no tools!"

Only after a long investigation I realized that she meant "towels"!

This is English. It sounds very strange to a Slavonic ear. That's where all problems start from.

Seryj Slon

What do you think: can this problem with English native-speakers be connected with the fact they learn forreign languages not so frequently like not-english-speaking people do?

RawonaM

Цитата: "Seryj Slon" от
can this problem with English native-speakers be connected
What problem?

learn forreign languages not so frequently like not-english-speaking people do?
Why do you think so?

Seryj Slon

Цитата: RawonaM от декабря  7, 2005, 18:33
can this problem with English native-speakers be connected
What problem?
The incidental problem, that is, in the scattered nature of different pronunciations in the English language. As far as I understood your post...  ::)

It's known that English speakers are used to different pronunciations, so it's not a problem for English learners ...

learn foreign languages not so frequently like not-english-speaking people do?
Why do you think so?
[/quote]
For the reason that the English speakers just don`t need to learn foreign language, and studying any for them is like luxury. Unless it`s a profession or hobby, people don`t learn foreign language after relatively-successful exams. In particular English speakers.

RawonaM

The incidental problem, that is, in the scattered nature of different pronunciations in the English language. As far as I understood your post...  ::)
By "different pronunciations" I meant mostly foreign accents. Speakers of any language (or of most languages) are used to local phonetic differences in the community.

Rezia

What do you think: how much attention should be given to the pronunciation? 
As much as to be enough for the ability to pronounce without rude mistakes that can cause misunderstanding.
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

Drunkie

Unless it`s a profession or hobby, people don`t learn foreign language after relatively-successful exams. In particular English speakers
People in general don't learn foreign langauges unless it is a profession, hobby, or essential for survival, regardless of their native language. English speakers are no exception.

killer107

Pure Englishmen don't need to learn foreign languages at all, because their native language is an international language. You can come to any country and you will have no problem to communicate by English.

Amateur

Цитата: killer107 от августа 24, 2006, 10:40
Pure Englishmen don't need to learn foreign languages at all, because their native language is an international language.
Not only theirs. Russian, French, Spanish, too.

Цитата: killer107 от августа 24, 2006, 10:40
You can come to any country and you will have no problem to communicate by English.
Are you sure?

Radley

Цитата: "killer107" от
Pure Englishmen don't need to learn foreign languages at all, because their native language is an international language. You can come to any country and you will have no problem to communicate by English.
Oh yes they often will have problems. Because the English spoken in England is by no means the English spoken internationally.

Kelly

That's funny! In many countries even those who know English usually display their bitchness, not speaking it at all! You can ask them something several times however no reaction follows. But if you pronounce their native word, they are about to fervently kiss you! Sorry for my running to extremes 8-)

Radley

Смайлик

Цитата: Radley от октября 12, 2006, 12:26
The French you probably mean here, particularly Canadian French.

:D I've noticed that if they think you are American or Anglophone Canadian, some Quebecois (?) aren't very friendly, but once they realize you are from another continent they become much more enthusiastic about helping you (even when you don't know French).  8-)   

Radley

Цитата: "Смайлик" от
I've noticed that if they think you are American or Anglophone Canadian, some Quebecois (?) aren't very friendly, but once they realize you are from another continent they become much more enthusiastic about helping you (even when you don't know French).
Yeah, that pretty much applies to France as well. They positively hate it when English holidaymakers come to France expecting that every one they come in contact with will speak English, and will pretend not to know any Egnlish at all. But when they see you're actually not from England, their English will improve dramatically :)

apokalyptische Reiterin

Our ex-teacher in German told us that if ,for instance, a person from Schleswig-Holstein and the other person from Bavaria would have a talk, they would barely understand each other.
About learning languages. Actually,we study "Hochdeutsch", but it is spoken only on TV and by foreigners. It can be also seen in books, newapapers, e. t. c. If you speak Hochdeutsch in Germany, people will understand at once that you're a foreigner

Смайлик

I think regional dialects aren't as pronounced in German cities as they are in the countryside.  So what you may hear in a city would come pretty close to standard German (with some local dialectisms depending on the geographic location), or so I read.  I've never stayed in a German-speaking country long enough to find out.  Anyways, there are plenty of people who live in Germany on this forum, maybe they will enlighten us. :)

Tony

Смайлик, you are defintely right. Because of higher population fluctuations towards and within the cities, the dialects (indegenous and those who have moved to the city) more and more vanish. This is typical for bigger towns, and not only in Germany, of course.

apokalyptische Reiterin, you are also right. I generally have a hard time with southern languages. I mean the languages, not the standard language with a local sound realisation.

Germany has been and often still is very repressive concerning local languages/dialects, though the Southern ones are left in peace whereas the Northern ones were suppressed for a very long time and they are still depicted as some folklorish stuff. This attitude goes back to the age of the famous "Hanse"1 as Low German2 had been the language you had to know, if you wanted to make money.
  Swedish still bears many Low German traces because many loanwords had entered the language at that time.

(1 roughly from the Netherlands to Novgorod; my town (Berlin) also belonged to the Hanse, and was also Low German2 speaking until the 19th century - but those days are over *sigh*)

(2 the Low Saxon variant spoken in Germany)

iopq

I doubt any Slavic language speaker can learn proper English pronunciation, be it American, or English, or Australian, without growing up in that country. In that sense I am lucky.
Poirot: Я, кстати, тоже не любитель выпить, хоть и русский.
jvarg: Профессионал? ;)

znatok

I think it will be better when, we will have a language other than English as international, or may be, the English with corrupted pronunciation.
veni, vidi, dixi ...
язык дан людям для того, чтобы говорить глупости

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр