Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

What is "Come together" about?

Автор Seryj Slon, декабря 5, 2005, 20:01

Seryj Slon

Maybe it has to be in already existing topic "I can hardly get it...", but the question differs a bit: could anyone grasp and explain to me (and to others) the sense in this -- perhaps, most incomprehensible Beatles` song? What is that all about?

Here come old flattop he come grooving up slowly
He got joo-joo eyeball he one holy roller
He got hair down to his knee
Got to be a joker he just do what he please

He wear no shoeshine he got toe-jam football
He got monkey finger he shoot coca-cola
He say I know you, you know me
One thing I can tell you is you got to be free
Come together
right now
over me

He bag production he got walrus gumboot
He got ono sideboard he one spinal cracker
He got feet down below his knee
Hold you in his armchair you can feel his disease
Come together
right now
over me

He roller-coaster he got early warning
He got muddy water he one mojo filter
He say one and one and one is three
Got to be good-looking 'cause he's so hard to see
Come together
right now
over me

(c) John & Paul

Especially, how can I understand the refrain "Come together right now
over me"?

Rezia

There's a clip for the song performed by Joanna Stingray, maybe the clip can reveal a secret :).
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

Seryj Slon

And you have got this clip, don`t you? ;-)
I remember it, though I saw it long-long ago: the clip was made (IMMSMR) of an amateur  video-record, there were Joanna herself, Victor Tsoy, and -- do you recollect the others? All that I remember is that those two ate the ice-cream and kissed  :P nothing more to retell  :no:
But... how do this chefs-d`oeuvre explains the meaning of that hard-to-comprehend text? Is that Tsoy who had a flattop over his forehead and joo-joo eyeball? And invited "Come together right now здесь недалеко..."? (I may be mistaken about the sense of translation into russian, the question is still alive). Although, some things (one might say) that could be concerned to Tsoy, e.g. -- "One thing I can tell you is you got to be free". But  the song, I`m afraid is not about a freedom fighter. Michael Jackson is not very good freedom fighter  ;D

Rezia

"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)

Seryj Slon

Цитата: Rezia от декабря  5, 2005, 22:57
I don't have the clip. There was Boris Grebenezchikov , if I am not mistaken.
Surely he was  :UU: But the lack of this material prevents me from deciding whether this song is about freedom fighters or about "spinal crackers"  8) I`m afraid, Ms Stingray didn`t pay much attention to the latter point in the song she sang  :(

DryGene

I think that from the very start I should refer you to J Lennon's other song "I am the Walrus". It's also full of enigmatic or coded phrases yet one clear message: "Experts-texperts, choking smokers, don't you see that joker laughs at you (Uh-Hu-Hu ! Ha-Ha-Ha!)"

Come Together is not a particularly coherent song (and was not supposed to be) yet it is full of imagery that appears quite specific:

He comes old flat-top... grooving up slowly...

I am imagining an ageing 'beatnik' or ex-rocknroll 'flat-top cat' shuffling along loosely, demonstarting his now long hair and slightly ridiculous 'cool' looks

That's my reading...

G.

Seryj Slon

Yes, just lately I`ve bought a DVD with "Magical Mystery Tour", and I`m going to watch it, especially "I`m the walrus". And surely, flat-top was sort of a haircut. But do you realize the sense of refrain "Come together right now over me"? (Apart from everything that`s been said here).

Kyti

if you really listen to the song "he got hair down to his knees" or something like that..
 do you know anything about the"paul is dead" deal they did back in the 60s? if not you should go to http://www.turnmeondeadman.net/    and click on the paul is dead thing. that explains a whole lot of ther songs. it';s areally cool thing to read about..  almost every one of their songs relects something that happened to paul (which really didnt..because he's still alive) but they liked keeping the joke going.. go to that site and see if that helps any!
--Kayti     //www.xanga.com/brilliantdisguise28

Seryj Slon

But, if I`m not mistaken, "Paul is dead" was in reversed field of tape between the songs ("Let it be" album), not within them. And besides, that wasn`t Beatles own conseption, it was only catched by their flee-catching fans.
And this very approach to the Beatles songs reminds me of an old anecdote:
-- Could you tell me, doctor, what does it mean that when I`m touching, with my tip of tounge, a lump of a foil in which the potato was baked before, I feel a pricking behind my left ear?
-- This means that you have too much free time.  ;)

Drunkie

Well, maybe you have too much free time thinking about things such as what can "come together right now over me" really mean?   ;)
Oh, and by the way, if you ever find an answer to your Beatles query, maybe you'll also be able to help me understand what the following means: "You take 10p back and then stab it / Spray it on and tag it / So sack on me". It's from a Happy Mondays song called "Kinky Afro".

Seryj Slon

No, I don`t spend much time meditating on how this refrain could be translated (see my second post here above). Nor even have so highly improved level of English so to guess lingvistic riddles. Fortnightly :)

Drunkie

There. Trying to figure out what a particular rock poet meant when he (sometimes she) wrote a particular line is a completely fruitless task in most cases. Often, they don't know themselves what they really meant.

Seryj Slon

Цитата: Drunkie от декабря 21, 2005, 17:11
There. Trying to figure out what a particular rock poet meant when he (sometimes she) wrote a particular line is a completely fruitless task in most cases. Often, they don't know themselves what they really meant.
I`d rather say that they do it quite deliberately, getting bored of what they could have written in sober state of mind :green:

Rezia

Цитата: Drunkie от декабря 21, 2005, 17:11
Well, it's right as I've heard (from one girl, a great fan of the Beatles) that the Beatles once said they just wrote things and let their audience do the what-is-it-all-about guessing work :).

Seryj Slon

Цитата: Rezia от декабря 21, 2005, 21:29
Well, it's right as I've heard (from one girl, a great fan of the Beatles) that the Beatles once said they just wrote things and let their audience do the what-is-it-all-about guessing work :).
A great deal of mistakes, leading to the erroneous appraisal of human creations, is bound to that circumstance we oddly enough forgiving their descent. We often ignore they have not always existed. A sort of  corresponding coquetry follows that – a coquetry, that pushes, as a rule, to dissemble – and even dissemble too much good the origins of a masterpiece. We are afraid they`re mediocre: moreover, we fear that they would be natural.
Paul-Ambroise Valéry (translated word for word from russian translation of V.Kozovoy from http://www.vinci.ru/5/tezaurus/86/statia_2251.html)

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр