Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Prosaic English

Автор Versteher, марта 23, 2011, 10:05

Квас

Цитата: Versteher от марта 24, 2011, 19:15
I pray Thee, Amice, to heed to this extract, whereat it is manifest how a mute E is omitted whereas a sounded one stays.

Thanks! Actually I did encounter such use, but I never understood its logic.
Пишите письма! :)

Versteher

and now, Amice Illustris: now dost Thou understand?

It is obvious that it be the best thing thou mayst to for us, Alexey: go with peace and mar other places...
ЛОЖИЛЪ, ЛОЖУ, БУДУ ЛОЖИТЬ!!!

Demetrius

Квас

Versteher

It is but obvious that the factor of being degenerate itself won't attract my attention: there must be some another besides. In the case of English, which was clearly said in the beginning of this topic: English is prominent notwithstanding its being degenerate..

Amice, once, discoursing in Latin, Thou mention'dst Thy having to wake the hole night to complete some mind labour... Dost Thou often, as in the wonderful poem of Sir Edgar Poe, ponder weak and weary over a many quaint volume of forgotten lore?

Ausgezeichnet

Цитироватьyou can at least be sure
Shall one use 'may' instead of 'can' in such a situation, when stating a possibility, not an ability?

And the method of omitting not pronounced letters is largely used, but mainly in poetry, by classical English authors. May I hypothesize that it is of the reason that they were actually pronounced those ages but in poetry apostrophed for saving rhythm.

Квас

Цитата: Ausgezeichnet от марта 24, 2011, 19:36
Shall one use 'may' instead of 'can' in such a situation, when stating a possibility, not an ability?

I understand that my English is far from perfect. :) Any corrections are always welcome!

As for this case, Google says 'you can be sure' is all right. :donno:

Ellidi

Цитата: Alexandra A от марта 23, 2011, 10:26
But it is the only place I encountered this word, to mar. Meaning to injure, to make damage, to distort somebody or something.
I happened to come acroſs that word on other occaſions as well, but its paſt participle is marred.Mare is never uſed as a verb.
Suum quoque castitas mentis dispendium patitur, quia nonnunquam mens concupiscentiae telo configitur per carnis speciem, quam exterius contemplatur. («A. de C. S.», c. XI)

Ellidi

Цитата: Ausgezeichnet от марта 24, 2011, 19:36
I for my part would definitely opt for may or might. It is the ſame as in German with the verb mögen: er mag das gegessen haben - he may have eaten that.
Suum quoque castitas mentis dispendium patitur, quia nonnunquam mens concupiscentiae telo configitur per carnis speciem, quam exterius contemplatur. («A. de C. S.», c. XI)

Ausgezeichnet

It is not actually a mistake. Both 'can' and 'may' use you may. However, 'may' is more literature word for stating a possibility and hence more relevant to this topic.

Ellidi

Цитата: Demetrius от марта 24, 2011, 19:23
If thou seeketh degenerate tongues, try Toki-pona.
Venerable Demetri,
when an English verb is conjugated, after thou the ending -ſt is obligatory: thou seekeſt. It is obligatory even in the paſt ſimple tenſe: thou ſought(e)ſt. After he/ſhe/it in the præſent tenſe both -th, albeit archaic, and -s are poſsible.

I sincerely hope that thou wilt not take offence at my ventured remark. If you consider dutzen (thou-telling) praeſumptuous, please appriſe me thereof.

Квас

Thanks for your suggestion then, Ausgezeichnet. :)

Anyway, if I ever decide that this topic is intended for fiction-like styles, I'll retire at once. ;D I just hope to flood a bit.

Ausgezeichnet

Ellidi

Цитата: Versteher от марта 23, 2011, 10:48
Fair Ladies and Sirs,

what do Ye read at preſent in Engliſh?
Lately I embarked upon reading Thomas Carlyle's inſurmountable Latter-Day Pamphlets (wiki/en) Latter-Day_Pamphlets concerning liberaliſm and democracy, but I interrupted that praeliminarily for the ſake of two of Gregorius XVI encyclicals. Multifariousneſs is indispenſable for me.

Furthermore, one of my favourite authors is the Praerafaelite Italian London-born poet Dante Gabriel Rossetti. He has even compoſed one poem dedicated to Emperor Alexander II in the time of ever growing anti-Ruſsian tendencies in the Britiſh public life. But in his works he is not praeoccupied with political iſsues.

Ellidi

Цитата: Ausgezeichnet от марта 24, 2011, 20:27
May I question you, what is the difference between 'ſ' and 's'?
Purely typographical and almoſt non-existent, it is comparable to ligatures in the German Fraktur ſcript juxtapoſed with the ſame letters in contemporary German ſcripts which are deprived of ligatures.

Versteher

So remarable a couple! a philosoph Sir Carlyle and aeſtetic poet Sir Roſetti!

My couple for now is Walter Scott and John Milton... ſo not ſo ſheerely different..

vfaronov

The letter 'ſ', resembling as it does the venerable 'f' every one of us is well accustomed to, prompts me to imagine the conversations unfolding in this thread as having a certain faint, aristocratic lisp.
What a marvellous oasis of true nobility in this sea of degradation.

autolyk

Worthy Ladies and Sirs.
Would you like to write by lofty Way capitalizing the Nouns as in the good old Days some noble People did?
Атэц Әүүәл not welcome in this topic

Versteher

Aye, Min deoraste Dryhten: I thank Thee for Thy kind remark. For sooth were it liefer gif I had written after this manner, and so shall I do henceforward.

Versteher

Fair Sirs, here is a couple of verses of illustrous John Milton:

..Yet innoscence and virgin modesty,
Her virtue and the conscience of her worth,
That would be woo'd, and not unsought be won,
Not obvious, not obtrusive, but retir'd..

What doeth this obscure: woo'd - mean?

Sirko

Цитата: Versteher от июня 14, 2011, 13:35
Fair Sirs, here is a couple of verses of illustrous John Milton:

..Yet innoscence and virgin modesty,
Her virtue and the conscience of her worth,
That would be woo'd, and not unsought be won,
Not obvious, not obtrusive, but retir'd..

What doeth this obscure: woo'd - mean?

ЦитироватьОна вняла, и хоть ее влекла
Десница Божья, но девичья скромность,
Достоинства сознанье, чистота
Невинности: все то, что надлежит
Искательно лелеять, ублажать;
Сокровища любви, что никому
Иначе не даются и себя
Не предлагают, но, наоборот,
ЦитироватьDefinition of WOO

transitive verb
: to sue for the affection of and usually marriage with : court
: to solicit or entreat especially with importunity <woo new customers>
: to seek to gain or bring about
intransitive verb
: to court a woman

Versteher

Versteher

Fair Sirs, I dare then offer to Your attention another passage of the very same work, which let another question arise.

..Th' angelic guards ascended, mute and sad
For Man; for of this state by this they knew
Much wond'ring how the subtle fiend had stol'n
Entrance unseen..

How, Fair Sirs, would Ye comment the pair of: to steal an entrance?

Маркоман

I wonder that there is the word "hourrah" in English. Where did it come from?
Раб Кремляди и Первого канала

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр