Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Prosaic English

Автор Versteher, марта 23, 2011, 10:05

Уттыԓьын

Since about 1330, apparently, though now obsolete - which should suit your requirements perfectly.
Цитата: R. Mannyng Chron. (1810) 80Chefe justise he satte, þe sothe to atrie, For lefe no loth to lette þe right lawe to guye.
«Ӣяму́н маю̄лътуң, нага́лъютки́ иля́галӷӣт.»

autolyk

Атэц Әүүәл not welcome in this topic

Versteher

min dryhten, Thou seemst to have made a knock-out upon that Mister!
ЛОЖИЛЪ, ЛОЖУ, БУДУ ЛОЖИТЬ!!!

Уттыԓьын

How so?

OED: let, v.¹ (OE lǽtan) with inf. as obj.: To omit or forbear to do something. Cf. let, v.² (OE lettan), to which some of the instances given here may belong. Obs.

But then I didn't write 'I ... let commense reading' – you did.

Versteher

I was having the exsample of the German: lassen, whose meaning doth too - and much rather - belong to that of: to let, my Lord.

autolyk

Цитата: Уттыԓьын от октября  7, 2011, 17:51
OED: let, v.¹ (OE lǽtan) with inf. as obj.: To omit or forbear to do something
It is very strange. OE lǣtan means 'to allow; dismiss; cause'.
Атэц Әүүәл not welcome in this topic

Уттыԓьын

Exactly.

LǼTAN, p. lét, leórt; pp. lǽten. I. to LET, allow, permit, suffer II. to let [alone], let go, give up, dismiss, leave, forsake, let [blood] III. to let, cause, make, get, have, cause to be, place IV. to make a thing appear [so and so], make as if, make out, profess, pretend, estimate, consider, suppose, think V. to behave towards, treat VII. with adverbs

Versteher

Vir doctissimus Thomas Carlyle discerns an essential difference between a parlament where a king presides, and one having none, being a ruler itself; finding the later incapable of any activity but useless and harmful talking..

The Question is, if each time should finds it heroes that would be capable of heroic solitary ruling, not having to refer to advice of others?

Versteher

V. would cognise English only because that this marvelous book is written in it,  ;up:

Versteher

Fair Dames und Sires,

whom of the Great Men of the Past would Ye eagerly meet for to have a talk with?

Ellidi

Цитата: Versteher от декабря 13, 2011, 11:33
Fair Dames und Sires,

whom of the Great Men of the Past would Ye eagerly meet for to have a talk with?
Here is a list of illustrious persons from the past with whom I would fain converse:
1) Konstantin Petrovič Pobedonoscev, eminent Russian statesman
2) Count Nicolas Pavlovič Ignatiev, eminent Russian statesman, proponent of strong Russian-Bulgarian relations
3) Oswald Spengler, German philosopher
4) Thomas Carlyle, Scottish historian
5) E. M. Cioran, French philosopher of Romanian origin
6) Andranik Ozanyan, national hero of Bulgaria and Armenia
7) Pope Pius V (for his inspiring role in the founding of the Holy League) and Pope Gregory XVI (for uncovering the true nature of the liberty of expression and liberalism)

This is a concise and recapitulated list of notable persons who have influenced profoundly my worldview and whom I revere.

And what would your list look like, fair Versteher?
Suum quoque castitas mentis dispendium patitur, quia nonnunquam mens concupiscentiae telo configitur per carnis speciem, quam exterius contemplatur. («A. de C. S.», c. XI)

Versteher

Fair Ellidi, I thank Thee for so minute an answer.

I deem I would eagerly talk with the following Prominent Men:

1. Jacob Grimm;

2. Karl Ferdinand Becker;

3. Publius Nigidius Figulus;

4. Aulus Gellius..

There are many others Men whom I would meet; yet those four Prominent Antiquarians and Masters of Language; in a talk of whom I would be consequently the competentest.

Ausgezeichnet

O Ellidi, you seem to have no great admiration for Liberalism as I perceive. I have pleased myself with reading a discussion that involved you and Herr Versteher in the Deutsch thread. What astonishes me is your negation of the earthly freedom and I allege, your yearning for the heavenly. But does not the freedom to act accompany, I should say nourish the freedom to think? You have said that Liberalismus leads to degradation of the human relationship (menschliche Beziehungen) as one cares for wealth than for one's neighboure. But is this not a deepest foundation of Liberalism, to honour and respect one's neighboure? Is it not, a fundamental principle, in every human being before all a Man (or a Lady) to see?
You have written and I must agree, that Society must be lead by the Wise. But it contradicts not Liberalism.
With all my respect towards you, I am looking eagerly forward to hearkening your answer.

vfaronov

As much as I admire the present day's mercurial idiom, I cannot help but admit that the obsolete style, exemplified by this Thread, possesses of a hue and cadence which make it even more tantalizing in my eyes. I shall therefore be grateful to you, gentlemen, if you can suggest a handful of brief but decent Works wherein this elegant manner of speech may be revelled in and, perchance, picked up. It is crucial, however, that the text, of itself, should not be a lamentation for a glorious Past, nor a condemnation of a decadent Present, nor yet a foreboding of a catastrophic Future: for these I cannot stand, alas.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр