Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Turkish Language

Автор nina, июня 15, 2005, 00:31

nina

Do you know the meaning or the european correspondance of the Turkish name Orkhan , or Orkan ( eventually Ogan )  ? Was ( is ) it common in Azerbajdjan ? Thank you from Italy

iskender

Selâm!
It's me once again. :)
Цитата: ninaDo you know the meaning or the european correspondance of the Turkish name Orkhan , or Orkan ( eventually Ogan )  ? Was ( is ) it common in Azerbajdjan ? Thank you from Italy
I've got a book Qırımtatar Adları (Crimean Tatar Names) by Enver Özenbaşlı. It tells us the following:

ORHAN erkek adı
arapça
Şiddetli manada.

or, in English:

ORHAN male name
Arabian
Means severe, strong.

So, if you want to know the exact meaning, you'd better find the Arabian original of this name.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Azerbayjan. :?

Calle

Hi Nina

As iskender said, in Turkish the name is spelled Orhan. The Azeri version is Orxan, where "x" is pronounced as "ch" in the German word "ich" or "j" in the Spanish name "Juan".

The name wasn't that common until late 1970s and 1980s when all of a sudden it became so popular that today it is considered to be among the most common male names in Azerbaijan.

zeyd

are you sure "orhan" is arabic word? search again !!!!
"han" is a turk word and "or" is too...

RawonaM

Phobia

The names (Orkhon, Orhon, Orchon or Орхон in Cyrillic) have Altaic origins. The first known Turkic writing system, which resembles runes more than anything, was named after the Orkhon river in Mongolia, where it was located.  Orkhon was developed around the 8th century A.D., which makes sense, because Mongolia was under Turkic control at that time.

Nina, it seems that you are looking for something different.  I would suggest "Urkhan" if the name is of Arabic origin.  "O" is not one of Arabic's true vowels; official transliterations in Arabic should only use "a", "i", and "u".  (Compare Osama/Usama, Moslem/Muslim, Mohammed/Muhammad).

I did a Google search on "Urkhan" and the first three results corresponded to Azerbaijan, so you're on the right track.  Also note that there was a Turkish sultan by the name of Urkhan.  Remember that the sultan is an Islamic title, which means that his name is more likely to come from an Arabic word than from some river in Central Asia.

My Arabic dictionary has "qawii" and "shadiid" for a translation of strong, but I won't deny "urkhan" as a possibility.  When I Googled the name, I quickly found the name of a professor at Cairo University with that name (Moustafa Urkhan).  If anyone has a more complete Arabic dictionary or knows the language themselves, and would like to confirm the meaning of "urkhan", be my guest. 

Zeyd, what do those words mean in Turkish?

sabina

Ben bilgisayar başındayken hep yanımda birçok kitap bulunur.
( "birçok" means "a good deal of". That is why I would use just "çok")

"When I work on computer there are a lot of books around."

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр