Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

crimean names

Автор nina, июня 12, 2005, 00:53

nina

from Italy , thank you .
I found the names " Vaap" and "Sary " in a manuscript concerning Crimea ( 1787 ) .I would like to know the meaning of these names and , eventually , their correspondances in other languages.
Nina

iskender

Ciao! :)

Цитата: ninaI found the names " Vaap" and "Sary " in a manuscript concerning Crimea ( 1787 ) .I would like to know the meaning of these names and , eventually , their correspondances in other languages.
Vaap - it's an ordinary Moslem name of Arabic origine. In Arabic it means "very generous" ("molto generoso"). (Друзья, я правильно слово "щедрый" перевёл?)
Sarı means "yellow" ("giallo") in the Crimean Tatar language. This word is not used as a person's firstname. May be it  can be a kind of a nickname (if it is a name of a person in your document).

Saluto from Crimea, İskender. :)

PS
Could you tell us about the manuscript itself? As I am Crimean (Crimean Tatar), I'm interested in documents conserning my country.

Rezia

Цитата: iskender

Saluto from Crimea, İskender. :)
The question is why there's no definite article before a proper name? You see, traditionally they put "the" before "Crimea" considering it a name of a region, as the Riviera (example is taken from "A Practical English Grammar" by Thomson and Martinet page 20).
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

iskender

Цитата: rezia
Цитата: iskenderSaluto from Crimea, İskender. :)
The question is why there's no definite article before a proper name? You see, traditionally they put "the" before "Crimea" considering it a name of a region, as the Riviera (example is taken from "A Practical English Grammar" by Thomson and Martinet page 20).
Hm... How it was: in the beginning of 1990s, soon after the declaration of Ukrainian independence, ukrainian officials asked (there is the problem - I don't know, whom they asked) to use the name of the country without an article - Ukraine, instead of the Ukraine. Soon after this the Crimean government do the same thing. May be the main reason was, that we consider our Crimea to be a country, but not a region.
So, as a result today we have Ukraine, Crimea, Republic of Crimea, etc.

Rezia

I see. So there are certain reasons. Thank you for your answer.
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

nina

Dear Iskender , thank you very much .I'll tell you about the manuscript in a couple of weeks , now I' m working on interpretation . "Sary" is Yellow , may be also " Blonde " ?
I found many Sary in Ottoman Empire . like a name or nickname  . Vaap correspond to " Wahhab " , Munific ? Was it a common name , do you think , in Crimea ? By the way , I found the ( may be from Russian ) transcription : " Unia " . What does it mean ? Where is Jampol or Janpol in Crimea ?Thank you for your attention and courtesy . A big " saluto " from Milano.

iskender

Цитата: ninaI'll tell you about the manuscript in a couple of weeks , now I' m working on interpretation .
Aha, it will be very nice of you. :)
Цитата: nina"Sary" is Yellow , may be also "Blonde" ?
Yes, it may. blonde or even red-headed.
Цитата: ninaVaap correspond to " Wahhab " , Munific ?
:yes: I think so.
Цитата: ninaWas it a common name , do you think , in Crimea ?
It's difficult to say... Today it's not so very popular among Crimean Tatars. But as far as I know it was rather common in the beginning of the 20th century. Unfortunatlely I can't say anything with confidence about the 18th century.

Цитата: ninaBy the way , I found the ( may be from Russian ) transcription : " Unia " . What does it mean ?
Give the context, please. May be it's about the church union of 1596 between the Orthodox Church and the Catholic church in Ukraine? But I can't say anything firmly without a context.

Цитата: ninaWhere is Jampol or Janpol in Crimea?
There is no such a city or a village in Crimea. But there is a city of Ямбол (Yambol) in Bulgaria. During the Ottoman rule it was called Yanbolu. And many members of the ruling family of Crimea (Geray, or Giray as the Turks write this name) lived there, including several former Khans of Crimea. (And there is also the city of Ямполь (Yampol) in the Vinnitsa region of Ukraine.)

Цитата: ninaThank you for your attention and courtesy.
You are always welcomed. :)

nina

The context :
...In Karasu Bazar < 1787 > arrived a Tatar born in Janipol , who in 1777 < I have read about the Khans Shahin and Devlet Hirej , in this period > mooved to Unia from Taman ..."
May be " Unia " was a name for Turkey ? I can't unserstand .
I promise : it's my last question.
Thank you ! Grazie mille !

Добавлено спустя 31 секунду:

The context :
...In Karasu Bazar < 1787 > arrived a Tatar born in Janipol , who in 1777 < I have read about the Khans Shahin and Devlet Hirej , in this period > mooved to Unia from Taman ..."
I promise : it's my last question.
Thank you ! Grazie mille !

iskender

Цитата: ninaThe context :
I'm afraid I have no idea about Unia.  :dunno:  I don't think that it is Turkey. During the Ottoman period it was usually called in written documents Devlet-i Osmaniyye (= the Ottoman State) or Devlet-i Aliyye (~ the Supreme State). The name for the European part of the Ottoman Empire was Rum Eli and for the Asiatic one - Anadolu. May be it's a name of a place somewhere near Taman. Somewhere in Kuban or Kabarda. But i really don't know. It is rather strange for me, that this name sounds somehow... how to say... very "nonturkic". :?

Цитата: nina...the Khans Shahin and Devlet Hirej...
One more remark... In the Crimean Tatar language the name of our rouling dynasty is Geray. So, it is IMHO the most correct form. In the Turkish language it is Giray. (In many European countries this variant is used as a result of Turkish influence.) And Russians call them Гирей (Girey, Girej or Hirej in latin letters). So, Girey is a russified form and I suppose, that it will be better to use Geray or Giray.

Цитата: ninaI promise : it's my last question.
As I've said, you are always welcomed. :)

nina

Thank you , Iskender . I'll write you about my researches . Talk you soon and
GRAZIE MILLE DALL'ITALIA

iskender

Цитата: ninaGRAZIE MILLE DALL'ITALIA
Prego. Non c'è di che. :)

Vertaler

Цитата: iskender
Цитата: ninaGRAZIE MILLE DALL'ITALIA
Prego. Non c'è di che. :)
Oni diras: «fa niente». Кажется. :roll:
Стрч прст в крк и вынь сухим.

nina

No , dear friend , it's correct !

We say : Grazie mille ! ( or " di cuore " !)
The answer : " Non c'? di che "...

Arrivederci

Vertaler

Стрч прст в крк и вынь сухим.

nina

dear Iskender ,
do you remember my question about Vaap who mooved from  Jan'pol' to Unia in 1777? I found that Unia is the Turkish town Unie , on the border of Black Sea , and I was told that Jan'pol' ( Janibol , or something like this ) may be the ancient ( Greek? ) name of Balaklava . Do you agree with this interpretation ? Can you tell me more ?
GRAZIE DI CUORE
NINA DALL'ITALIA

iskender

Цитата: ninadear Iskender ,
do you remember my question about Vaap who mooved from  Jan'pol' to Unia in 1777? I found that Unia is the Turkish town Unie , on the border of Black Sea , and I was told that Jan'pol' ( Janibol , or something like this ) may be the ancient ( Greek? ) name of Balaklava . Do you agree with this interpretation ? Can you tell me more ?
GRAZIE DI CUORE
NINA DALL'ITALIA
1). About Unia.
The only one thing I can say is that the town's name is Ünye in Turkish, and it is situated in the Black Sea coast between the cities of Ordu and Samsun. I didn't know about this town before, but when you had said about it, I've found it on the map.
2). About Janibol.
Yes, Balaklava was really called Yamboli. But it was in the 7th - 13th centuries (when the territory was rulled by Byzantine Empire). Long before the period your manuscript tells us about. From the end of the 13th century till 1475, when the town belonged to the republic of Genoa, it was called Cembalo (Chembalo). And since the Ottomans conquered the southern coast of Crimea in 1475 the town was named Balıqlava (Balaklava is a russified form of this name).
So, what can I say... May be Crimean Greeks still used the name Yamboli during the Genoesian and Ottoman rule. As we (Crimean Tatars) still call the main cities of Crimea Aqmescit, Aqyar, Kefe and Kezlev (in spite of the fact, that since 1783 they are officially called Simferopol, Sevastopol, Feodosia and Evpatoria).  But it is only a suggestion. By the way, who is the author? If he was Greek? In this case my version is not bad.

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр