Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

What is the difference between such words as politeness, courtesy and civility

Автор nick, декабря 16, 2009, 19:17

nick

Could you please give 10 assosiations answering the question:
1. What is politeness?
2. What is courtesy?
3. What is civility?

onyva

POLITENESS
(uncountable) The quality or state of being polite; refinement of manners; urbanity; courteous behaviour; complaisance; obliging attentions.
E.g.: politeness in language.

COURTESY
1) (uncountable) polite behaviour and respect for other people.
E.g.: It's a matter of common courtesy to acknowledge letters.
         He didn't even have the courtesy to call and say he couldn't come.

2) (countable) something you do or say to be polite.
E.g.: The two men exchanged courtesies before getting down to business.

by courtesy of somebody - by someone's permission or kindness, rather than by paying them.
E.g.: photographs supplied courtesy of Blenheim Palace.

by courtesy of something - if one thing happens courtesy of another, the second thing caused the first.
E.g.: Healy received a deep cut on his left hand, courtesy of Nicol's ice skate.

do somebody the courtesy of doing something to be polite enough to do something for someone.
E.g.: At least do me the courtesy of telling the truth.

POLITENESS denotes that ease and gracefulness of manners which first sprung up in cities, connected with a desire to please others by anticipating their wants and wishes, and studiously avoiding whatever might give them pain.
COURTESY is, etymologically, the politeness of courts. It displays itself in the address and manners; it is shown more especially in receiving and entertaining others, and is a union of dignified complaisance and kindness.

CIVILITY
1) (uncountable) polite behaviour which most people consider normal.
E.g.: Please have the civility to knock before you enter next time.

2) (plural) something that you say or do in order to be polite.
E.g.: We exchanged civilities when we were neighbours, but nothing more.

nick

Thank you for your answer! So, in some context they may be interchangable?  Is it correct to say, that in English there are three names of the concept 'politeness', whereas in Russian we have only one name?

onyva

Dear nick! Actually, these three words have their own "fields of use". I do not believe they are complete synonyms and may be used interchangeably. They mark nuances. Politeness refers to the behaviour of a person. Courtesy is in fact politeness "imposed by rules and by the society". Civility may be a formal synonym for courtesy.

iopq

I could be polite but not courteous. If I am late to our meeting I'm not being courteous to you since I'm making you wait, but if I say "I am very sorry I am late" I am being polite.
Poirot: Я, кстати, тоже не любитель выпить, хоть и русский.
jvarg: Профессионал? ;)

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр