Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

writer / rider in GenAmE

Автор iopq, августа 17, 2009, 12:32

iopq

Is the diphthong in rider longer than writer in those dialects where the consonants are pronounced identically or are those two words homophonous?
Poirot: Я, кстати, тоже не любитель выпить, хоть и русский.
jvarg: Профессионал? ;)

regn

When I try to think about it, it seems to me that I pronounce "writer" and "riiider". But I think that this difference is so slight that in real fast speech it totally disappears.

Beermonger

I dunno about you, but i pronounce "t" and "d" clearly in these words. Though "i" pronounciation does not differ indeed.

regn

Цитата: Beermonger от августа 17, 2009, 17:16
I dunno about you, but i pronounce "t" and "d" clearly in these words.

In America most people weaken their t's and d's between vowels and after sonants and turn them into a quick flap. I simply follow the tendency. Like, if for instance I say "seventy" or "better" with a clear "t", Americans right away think that I have some kind of a European accent.

Цитата: Beermonger от августа 17, 2009, 17:16
Though "i" pronounciation does not differ indeed.

What about "bid" and "bit"? Are the two i's different in your pronunciation?

Beermonger

Цитата: regn от августа 17, 2009, 17:22
What about "bid" and "bit"? Are the two i's different in your pronunciation?
Well when i say them naturally (w/o focusing on it), i tend to pronounce "bid" half-way to "beed", with slightly longer "i" (though not as long as in "sleep" for example), while in "bit" its short.

regn

I would define such correspondences in my pronunciation:

city :: short
bit :: short
bid :: half-long

reading, me :: both long
sleep :: half-long (though different from "bid" in quality)
read :: long

Aleksey

Цитата: regn от августа 17, 2009, 18:09
I believe it should be a short vowel, (note the word should, it doesn't mean that it must be the same in your idiolect) because if you accidentally lengthen it more than usual it will become like in bead (long i), and the general idea of mispronouncing words in fast speech is sometimes funny. (when we're talking we usually can't notice our faulty pronounciation)
for e.g. bad-bed in fast speech for some people can change into /bɛd/ instead of /bæd/ (for instance one guy from Cornwall in UK always mispronounces these two, but in the context it's easier to understand its meaning)

RawonaM

Цитата: Aleksey от августа 18, 2009, 09:48
I believe it should be a short vowel, (note the word should, it doesn't mean that it must be the same in your idiolect) because if you accidentally lengthen it more than usual it will become like in bead (long i)
The vowel is longer before voiced consonant, in will be longer in bead respectively.

RawonaM

Aleksey

Цитата: RawonaM от августа 18, 2009, 12:22
Furthermore, the quality of the vowel in bead and in bid is very different
To my ear only length is their main difference, maybe I'm deaf?  :(

regn

if you accidentally lengthen it more than usual it will become like in bead (long i)

No it won't!

Цитата: Aleksey от августа 18, 2009, 13:19
To my ear only length is their main difference, maybe I'm deaf?

I can stretch out "biiiiiiiiiiid" and then quickly utter "bead" (very short) - and any American will perfectly understand me, i.e. they will know that the first word is "bid" and the second one is "bead".

The two vowels are radically different in quality. Their length is a secondary parameter (more of a historic thing).

I believe it should be a short vowel, (note the word should, it doesn't mean that it must be the same in your idiolect)

It usually gets lengthened before a voiced consonant. Same can found in "should; bed; rid" etc.

Ванько

Whether the length of English diphthongs depends on voicedness\voicelessness of the following consonants? :???
Lingvoforum has ruined my life.
-------------------------
ЛФ — это вообще к лингвистике мало имеет отношение. © RawonaM

regn

Цитата: Ванько Кацап от августа 18, 2009, 17:17
Whether the length of English diphthongs depends on voicedness\voicelessness of the following consonants?

When I say "tide" and "tight", the vowel in the first word is definitely longer...

Ванько

Цитата: regn от августа 18, 2009, 17:19
the vowel in the first word is definitely longer...
Hmmm... I've never read about positional lengthening of the diphthongs. AFAIK, they just lose their second element and become shorter in fast speech. Have I missed something? :donno:

regn

Цитата: Ванько Кацап от августа 18, 2009, 18:01
Have I missed something?

OK, let's try a few more words:

ride ~ right
boys ~ exploit
glaze ~ hate
sound ~ scout

In each pair the vowel in the first word is longer in my pronunciation.

Цитата: iopq от августа 17, 2009, 12:32
Is the diphthong in rider longer than writer in those dialects where the consonants are pronounced identically or are those two words homophonous?

I just had a thought... It's actually kind of weird: in both "writer" and "rider" the initial syllable is open. And in open syllables long vowels and diphthongs are usually long, and their length should not depend on the quality of the consonant starting the next syllable...  :-\

Цитата: Aleksey от августа 18, 2009, 13:19
To my ear only length is their main difference, maybe I'm deaf?

One more little thing: open an American dictionary (any of the Longman's, for example) that has IPA transcriptions. You will see that the vowel in the word "bead" is transcribed as [bid] with no length mark. In GenAm English, length is a secondary feature that is often not even marked in dictionaries.

Also, words like "talk walk pool" are trascribed [tɔk] [wɔk] [pul], i.e. with no length markers.

Ванько

alkaigor

Цитата: regn от августа 17, 2009, 18:09
bit :: short
sleep :: half-long (though different from "bid" in quality)
read :: long
Недавно заглянул в "Английский для вас" В.С.Шах-Назаровой (М., Высш .шк., 1987) в связи с темой о звонкости смычных (это вообще отдельный прикол).
стр 20.
Английские гласные (долгие и краткие) произносятся длительнее в ударном конечном слоге, длительно перед сонантами и звонкими согласными и кратко перед глухими согласными. (Сравните: ten - Ted - tet.)
- Ага. Щас. Делать больше нечего. Будто мало других забот -фонологических долгот, - подумал я. -Это примерно из той же оперы, где утверждается, что русские глухие на конце слова становятся "еще более глухими".

А насчет bid и bead и т.п.:
В американском варианте, в отличие от британского, фонологически значимыми является не долгота, а тембровые различия. Это отражается и в словарной транскрипции.
Очень обычное явление у филологов чрезмерное напряжение памяти, сравнительно малое развитие суждения.
(Ф.Ницше)

Caraṃ ce nādhigaccheyya seyyaṃ sadisam attano
Ekacariyaṃ daḷhaṃ kayirā natthi bāle sahāyatā.
(Дхаммапада)

Алексей Гринь

Цитата: iopq от августа 17, 2009, 12:32
I hear no difference, I distinguish to write from to ride though.

Цитата: wikiIn most varieties of American English pairs such as pouter/powder and rider/writer are pronounced exactly the same.
肏! Τίς πέπορδε;

RawonaM

Цитата: alkaigor от августа 27, 2009, 23:04
ЦитироватьАнглийские гласные (долгие и краткие) произносятся длительнее в ударном конечном слоге, длительно перед сонантами и звонкими согласными и кратко перед глухими согласными. (Сравните: ten - Ted - tet.)
- Ага. Щас. Делать больше нечего. Будто мало других забот -фонологических долгот, - подумал я.
Совершенно правильно написано. Гласные дольше перед звонкими.

ginkgo

- Ага. Щас. Делать больше нечего. Будто мало других забот -фонологических долгот, - подумал я.
Ну дык.. Если вам нужно отшлифованное произношение native-like или хотя бы почти безакцентное, то придется учитывать все нюансы. А если не нужно, то и забот нет.
"Θα φτιάξουμε μαρμελάδες."

regn

В американском варианте, в отличие от британского, фонологически значимыми является не долгота, а тембровые различия. Это отражается и в словарной транскрипции.

Да, только если вы не будете выдерживать долгот, у вас будет акцент :yes:

Artemon

За разнообразие в мире языков: //vk.com/lingvomir
    [li]Чёрное и белое - лишь условные абстракции. Но жить, навешивая ярлыки, куда проще.[/li]
    [li]Green ideas и глокая куздра сообщают, что главное – принцип. Слова меняются, модели остаются.[/li]
    [li]Хорошо кишинёвскому сыну тайца и египтянки.[/li]
    [li]Ругая эсперанто, предлагайте альтернативы. Многие в вашей стране смотрят голливудские фильмы без перевода?[/li]
    [li]Живой язык = мёртвый конланг + армия и флот.[/li]
    [li]Центру нужны единое мнение, единый язык и смиренные налогоплательщики.[/li]

Ванько

alkaigor

Цитата: Ванько Кацап от августа 19, 2009, 14:52
I'm not sure if it is useful, but I've found a little information about flapping and lengthening

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~johnsen/files/unpub/Flapping and underlying vowels in American English.pdf

Как раз в тему.
Похоже, позиционная долгота гласных перед звонкими согласными свойственна и американскому, и британскому вариантам (если не говорить о всех).
write (rait) - rider (ra:id);
В открытом слоге writer - rider в говорах с нейтрализацией -t- -d- впечатления о различной длительности гласного скорее навеяны аналогией write - ride. Иначе пришлось бы констатировать возникновение нового противопоставления по долготе. Подождем лет 100 - увидим. :-)
Как я понял, flapping не возникает перед слоговым носовым: written. Припоминаю, что есть еще "глоттализация" (если не ошибаюсь, в британском тоже). И вроде, в частности, перед -n.
Цитата: Ванько Кацап от августа 31, 2009, 01:29
Цитата: Artemon от августа 31, 2009, 00:47
Ужас.
wot? :what:
Вот-вот. Что творится. Историческая фонетика при живых свидетелях. И ведь не задушишь, не убьешь.
Очень обычное явление у филологов чрезмерное напряжение памяти, сравнительно малое развитие суждения.
(Ф.Ницше)

Caraṃ ce nādhigaccheyya seyyaṃ sadisam attano
Ekacariyaṃ daḷhaṃ kayirā natthi bāle sahāyatā.
(Дхаммапада)

RawonaM

Цитата: alkaigor от августа 31, 2009, 08:33
Как я понял, flapping не возникает перед слоговым носовым: written. Припоминаю, что есть еще "глоттализация" (если не ошибаюсь, в британском тоже). И вроде, в частности, перед -n.
Послушал записи, тут есть два варианта: либо обычный т без флаппинга либо назальный спуск. Назальный спук тоже двух вариантов, либо образованный глоттисом (при глоттализации) либо увулой (без глоттализации).

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр