Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

freak/fag

Автор Rezia, апреля 9, 2009, 23:46

Rezia

What is the difference between a freak and a fag? Can a freak be a fag and vice versa?
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

Beermonger

:E: These are 2 different words :). Guess meaning of the word "fag" differs in dialects (if you can consider american english a dialect, for instance), but generaly its slang for "homosexual", like "queer", but more offensive. Ofcuz homos can be freaky and freaks can be homos :), whatever meaning of "freak" you choose.

Алексей Гринь

i'd say,

肏! Τίς πέπορδε;

Dana

Цитата: "Алексей Гринь" от
fag is 1) педик (гомосексуалист) 2) долбоёб (просто ругательство)

Note that the first meaning usually considered peiorative and you better not use this word in such context, unless it´s what you wanna say.
It can be used as a word of derision, as well. Eg. newfag, oldfag, furfag etc.
Also, in UK English "fag" means a cigarette (=cig) :)

As for freak. In modern English this word usually doesn't have negative connotations. Never heard it as a curse. This word is used simply to refer to a person with something unusual about their appearance or behavior. I.e. somehow eccentric person. It can also mean a person who is obsessed with something, eg. Esperanto freak.
Homo homini cattulus est

Хто не знає про добро, той завжди буде злим,
Хто забув свою мову, той прокинеться німим,
Хто завжди був рабом, той залишиться ніким,
Все почалося з нічого і закінчиться нічим...

Алексей Гринь

Цитата: "Dana" от
It can be used as a word of derision, as well. Eg. newfag, oldfag, furfag etc.
fag < faggot < it. fagotto
-fag < gr. -φάγος

different roots, different words
肏! Τίς πέπορδε;

Ванько

Цитата: Rezia от апреля  9, 2009, 23:46
What is the difference between a freak and a fag? Can a freak be a fag and vice versa?
Only thing I know that you shouldn't use these words not to offend someone. And better you don't understand their meanings not to be offended. :)
Lingvoforum has ruined my life.
-------------------------
ЛФ — это вообще к лингвистике мало имеет отношение. © RawonaM

Beermonger

ЦитироватьAlso, in UK English "fag" means a cigarette (=cig)
Even in Brittish "fag" means "homo" now, considered americanism in UK english, via american popular culture (films, books etc).

Rezia

Well, I think I ran into it, I mean "a fag" meaning "a butt of a cigarette".
"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

djwebb1969

Fag also has another meaning in British English. In the public schools (a term that means private schools in British English!!!!), there used to be a "fag system", where the younger boys would serve the older boys. Polish their shoes for them and that sort of thing. Or even provide them with sexual services.

Ванько

myst

Цитата: djwebb1969 от сентября  4, 2009, 12:32
Polish their shoes for them and that sort of thing. Or even provide them with sexual services.
Hrenase! :o
Sorry for my french. ;)

Ванько

Лукас

«Победоносил, победоносю и победоносить буду». Георгий Победоносец
«Я мстю, и мстя моя будет ужасной» - объявил бобёр лесу.
«Бог чува Србе», али је рок трајања истиче!

iopq

Poirot: Я, кстати, тоже не любитель выпить, хоть и русский.
jvarg: Профессионал? ;)

regn

Here in New York, the word "fag(got)" is only used as an offensive way to refer to a homosexual man. I haven't really heard it be used in a meaning different from that.

The local школотa high school students use the word "fag" as the worst possible insult while addressing a straight kid.

It never means anything like "idiot" or "freak" though. I mean, it may, but the sexual connotation is always there.

regn

iopq

Цитата: regn от апреля  9, 2010, 07:09
Here in New York, the word "fag(got)" is only used as an offensive way to refer to a homosexual man. I haven't really heard it be used in a meaning different from that.

The local школотa high school students use the word "fag" as the worst possible insult while addressing a straight kid.

It never means anything like "idiot" or "freak" though. I mean, it may, but the sexual connotation is always there.
My friends say "what a fag" meaning "why are you being gay" meaning "you are not being cool"
"gay" and "fag" just mean random pejoratives here like "dumb" and "idiot"

but "queer" for example would almost always refer to a homosexual (although "gay" is used more)

regn

Some of the local gay guys use that among themselves as a way to poke/ridicule/humor each other. Like, one can say to his bf, "It's because you're a fag, sugar!"

The same applies to the word "nigger".

Using "fag" or "nigger" outside the above-mentioned groups is offensive.

regn

Цитата: iopq от апреля  9, 2010, 07:15
My friends say "what a fag" meaning "why are you being gay" meaning "you are not being cool"

That's funny... Maybe, it's regional. I just asked 4 people about it. They all say that "fag" never sounds non-sexual to them.

iopq

Цитата: regn от апреля  9, 2010, 07:16
Some of the local gay guys use that among themselves as a way to poke/ridicule/humor each other. Like, one can say to his bf, "It's because you're a fag, sugar!"

The same applies to the word "nigger".

Using "fag" or "nigger" outside the above-mentioned groups is offensive.
offensive to them
but people outside of those groups use "fag" and "nigger" as swears

I'm playing video games and I hear my friend from south carolina say things like "that nigger just killed me"
of course, it's still very offensive, but somehow white people love telling each other nigger jokes

I got one:
-What do you do when you see a nigger with half a face?
-Stop laughing and reload

regn

Цитата: iopq от апреля  9, 2010, 07:20
I'm playing video games and I hear my friend from south carolina say things like "that nigger just killed me"
of course, it's still very offensive, but somehow white people love telling each other nigger jokes

Geez... There are some big regional differences. NONE of the people I know would ever dare say the "n" word anywhere in public. It immediately puts a label on you which will later be VERY difficult to get rid of.

regn

I remember having a conversation about races with my friends. A couple of guys from Venezuela were participating in it. After using the code expression "the n-word" a couple of times, they used the word "nigger" once or twice, but every time they would start their sentences by referring to "spics" and how terrible that word is. They would justify their usage of the n-word by using the word "spic".

Dana

Цитата: regn от апреля  9, 2010, 07:23
NONE of the people I know would ever dare say the "n" word anywhere in public. It immediately puts a label on you which will later be VERY difficult to get rid of.
Some people just have nada to lose :)
Homo homini cattulus est

Хто не знає про добро, той завжди буде злим,
Хто забув свою мову, той прокинеться німим,
Хто завжди був рабом, той залишиться ніким,
Все почалося з нічого і закінчиться нічим...

iopq

Цитата: regn от апреля  9, 2010, 07:23
Цитата: iopq от апреля  9, 2010, 07:20

Geez... There are some big regional differences. NONE of the people I know would ever dare say the "n" word anywhere in public. It immediately puts a label on you which will later be VERY difficult to get rid of.

it's not public, it's playing video games at home / talking between friends
or in some games talking to people over the internet and trying to piss them off (despite them being on your team  ;D)

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр