Главное меню
Мы солидарны с Украиной. Узнайте здесь, как можно поддержать Украину.

Days of the Week

Автор Mikhail, января 13, 2005, 23:01

Mikhail

Hallo everybody!

I apologize for writing in English to you. (Unfortunately, I have no Russian keyboard  here.) Actually, my first language is Russian, so you can reply in Russian, English, German, or French :)

Maybe, someone could/would like to help me with the following problem:

For one school diary, I am collecting the names of the days of the week in different languages. (The days of every week are there written in a new language, so in 53 languages, at all!) So, I already found a pretty good source (a site in the Internet in Germany, namely
http://www.geonames.de/days.html
and a French encyclopedia of languages by M.Malherbe, Les Langages de l'Humanité...), but I want to write a short summary about the meaning of the names..Such a summary is well given by M.Malherbe, but - nevertheless- I would like to extend and to improve it, if possible.

Well, there are two main strategies to call the days of the week: by numbering [like done in Russian, Hebrew, Modern Chinese, Portuguese..] or by association with some (ancient) divinity (i.e. god) resp. planet resp. metal [like done in English, German, Latin, Hindi, Corean, Japanese..]. I am looking for some strange, curious, rare names which do not follow the general rule! For example, maybe in some rare or ancient languages like Maya, Tahiti, Turkmen (I heard about the new law 8)), etc.

Perhaps, somebody knows interesting names, esp. interesting meanings of the names, of the days of the week, and would like to write it here! I would be very grateful!!!!!

Thank you!

Mikhail

Rezia

"Сон налягає. Кладе м'якеньку лапу на очі і на лице і шепче до вуха: спи..." (Коцюбинський)
"Ахаль çеç-им шурă юрĕ çав каç ÿкрĕ çĕр çине?" (чăваш юрри)
"Гэта не без гэтага" (з аднаго беларускага рамана)
"ნახევარი პური, ნახევარი ხარჩო"
"If you want to win the fight, say "I believe!" " (Eric)

Aramis

Цитата: MikhailHallo everybody!

I apologize for writing in English to you. (Unfortunately, I have no Russian keyboard  here.) Actually, my first language is Russian, so you can reply in Russian, English, German, or French :)

Maybe, someone could/would like to help me with the following problem:

For one school diary, I am collecting the names of the days of the week in different languages. (The days of every week are there written in a new language, so in 53 languages, at all!) So, I already found a pretty good source (a site in the Internet in Germany, namely
http://www.geonames.de/days.html
and a French encyclopedia of languages by M.Malherbe, Les Langages de l'Humanité...), but I want to write a short summary about the meaning of the names..Such a summary is well given by M.Malherbe, but - nevertheless- I would like to extend and to improve it, if possible.

Well, there are two main strategies to call the days of the week: by numbering [like done in Russian, Hebrew, Modern Chinese, Portuguese..] or by association with some (ancient) divinity (i.e. god) resp. planet resp. metal [like done in English, German, Latin, Hindi, Corean, Japanese..]. I am looking for some strange, curious, rare names which do not follow the general rule! For example, maybe in some rare or ancient languages like Maya, Tahiti, Turkmen (I heard about the new law 8)), etc.

Perhaps, somebody knows interesting names, esp. interesting meanings of the names, of the days of the week, and would like to write it here! I would be very grateful!!!!!

Thank you!

Mikhail

Contact me via private message. I had a work about this.

Lei Ming Xia

Thank you very much for your contributions, esp. Yuri for his report!!!
I have just found an interesting site: maybe, you already know it, but I would to give the link nevertheless:

http://home.unilang.org/main/wiki2/index.php/Translations:_Days_of_the_week

Greetings, Mikhail...
Inuit tamarmik inunngorput nammineersinnaassuseqarlutik assigiimmillu ataqqinassuseqarlutillu pisinnaatitaaffeqarlutik.
(INUTTUT PISINNAATITAAFFIIT PILLUGIT SILARSUARMIOQATIGIINNUT NALUNAARUT)
В общем, ребят, вы не сердитесь, если долго не отвечаю - у меня сейчас экзамены на носу..

Быстрый ответ

Обратите внимание: данное сообщение не будет отображаться, пока модератор не одобрит его.

Имейл:
Проверка:
Оставьте это поле пустым:
Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке
Прослушать / Запросить другое изображение

Наберите символы, которые изображены на картинке:

√36:
ALT+S — отправить
ALT+P — предварительный просмотр